Leukemia & Lymphoma Community
Prolonged fevers

This patient support community is for discussions relating to all leukemia and lymphoma issues, Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia (CML), ALL, AML, CLL, SLL, anemia, biopsy, bone pain, chemotherapy, Hodgkins Lymphoma, monoclonal antibody therapy, Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma, stem cell transplant , swelling, vaccine therapy, weakness, and weight loss.

Prolonged fevers

My son is eleven years old and has had continuous fevers for six months.  They were low grade and are starting to climb each might,  they are now 103.  There is no obvious sign of infection.  I have been taking him to the dr and they finally ran bloodwork but I am waiting for the results,  now his fever is climbing and I'm not sure what to think or do.  He is sleeping more and has vomiting at night with the fever.  His dr started him on Prilosec a few days ago.  Any ideas or opinions would be greatly appreciated,
6 months is a long time to have fevers, and I agree with you about infection since it has been going on for so long.  Any other symptoms such as enlarged lymph nodes, extreme weight loss or night sweats?  I can tell you that most of the time, the very first symptom of leukemia or lymphoma is an enlarged lymph node.  As the disease progresses, some people will eventually develop B symptoms (fevers, night sweats and weight loss).  

So why was Prilosec prescribed?  Does he think he has acid reflux or heartburn?  I don't think these problems cause fevers and vomiting.  
Prilosec was given because of vomiting at night. I haven't found any lymph nodes.  He complains of fatigue at times and he also complains a lot of his legs hurting,  as a baby he was sick with reflux and multiple cases of RSV and aspiration pneumonias from the reflex.  It had all resolved for the most part,  he also has aspergers syndrome and has a strong family history of auto immune problems with both me and his fathers side.  I am so worried and the drs just don't seem to be concerned.  I homeschool him due to him staying to sick when he was attending public school.  It's like his Immune system can't handle anything,
I'm sorry this has been going on for so long with no answers.  Have you received the results of his blood test yet?  I have to say that with your list of symptoms other than the fever and fatigue, nothing really jumps out at me and screams blood cancer.  Usually the first symptoms are swollen nodes and then later as disease progresses, B symptoms like the ones I mentioned before appear.  

With the family history of autoimmune diseases, this may be a possibility.  Hopefully the blood tests will help reveal what is really going on.