Leukemia & Lymphoma Community
Reasons for Concern -- Advice needed

This patient support community is for discussions relating to all leukemia and lymphoma issues, Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia (CML), ALL, AML, CLL, SLL, anemia, biopsy, bone pain, chemotherapy, Hodgkins Lymphoma, monoclonal antibody therapy, Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma, stem cell transplant , swelling, vaccine therapy, weakness, and weight loss.

Reasons for Concern -- Advice needed

brief history.  It has now been 7 1/2 weeks of sickness.  Which all started with what I was told the Flu.. I went to the emergency due to a high fever-- sweating, VERY sore chest/ribs.. felt like I was being crushed. and all joints hurt. so the doctor told me it was the flu and gave me some needle in my hip. which he said would relax my body so I could rest. the next day I woke up with a swollen ear and lost my hearing .. i was put on an antibiotic and told I would need tubes. So this carried on for another week, the Amoxicillan (sp) made me worse.. went back and put on three new meds.. drops, pill and pain killer.. now this sickness has not left. a few weeks later... all lymph nodes were swollen, I turned yellow and had more pain on my left side ribs, like I was being crushed.. and hives on my chest and back Went to the walk in.
Doctor was very concerned. He put me on Pen Vee and told me to get my blood and urine fully tested.. and if it got worse to go back to the ER.. so a few days went by and my family doctor personally called me and told me to come in ASAP.. So I did.. My blood work and a very high white blood count and some abnormalities. he did an exam and said my spleen was enlarged. and asked me about family history with Lymphoma (my uncle is now in remission and cancer is very high in my family) then talked about Leukaemia.... (which scared me) but then also talked about Mono ( I have no sore throat at the time of this question ) .... and told me I need to go for a chest xray and ultrasound plus more blood work (which I am doing tomorrow) he also put me on another pill Cefzil which honestly makes me feel so much more worse (new symptoms with this pill, sore throat bad headaches) my chest honestly feels like someone is sitting on it... or like a pulled all my torso muscles. cough is present but not a hacking more like a little baby cough.  and my eyes are still Reddish yellow.  and if I walk more then 10 steps I cannot breath. also very fast heart rate and i have to lay down

What are my chances of it just being mono and not what he is telling me with the Cancer... anyone go through this. I am 28 years old and scared outta my mind.  7 1/2 weeks or more is a long time to be this sick.  I havent had the night sweats since the flu at the start.. but I do get the hot flashes like I am burning up.. still yellowish pale and flushed in my cheeks... please help
Hi, if I were to guess I'd be looking at a possible virus, not necessarily Epstein Barr but some virus causing reactions throughout. That includes your liver/jaundice. AFAIK, leukemia/lymphoma is not generally associated with liver damage (except if a person was having chemo). No one did liver function tests?

You might have a long road in finding out what it is wrong, but you likely shouldn't be terrified of cancer at this point.

Most ear infections are from viruses, btw.

Shortness of breath could be from anemia but in this case it seems more likely to be inflammation in the lungs. Since you don't get enough air, your heart beats faster to pump more blood in trying to compensate.