Leukemia & Lymphoma Community
Sore throat - ear pain - mouth pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to all leukemia and lymphoma issues, Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia (CML), ALL, AML, CLL, SLL, anemia, biopsy, bone pain, chemotherapy, Hodgkins Lymphoma, monoclonal antibody therapy, Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma, stem cell transplant , swelling, vaccine therapy, weakness, and weight loss.

Sore throat - ear pain - mouth pain

Good afternoon everyone:

34 year old male - non-smoker - hardly ever drinks - no family history of lymphoma

OK so here's the story. A little over a week ago I came down with a sore throat. A significantly sore throat. My tonsils, tounge base and back of my throat were all sore but at different times in different areas of the throat. (it seemed to hop around a little but focused on my tonsils) Went to my GP who did a strep test but decided that most likely it was a virus due to several viruses going around. Strep test came back negative 5 days later. I was given "magic mouthwash", I tried chloraseptic, halls...etc but nothing was able to reach the part of my throat that was hurting. It got to the point that I went to the ER to get my throat checked out. They gave me a shot of steroids and suggested that I start on antibiotics incase it was strep. (I didn't have my results yet) I had also started on biaxin that I had left over in my house...stopped that and then started on antibiotics they gave me. I stopped them once the results came back negative. The steroids totally took away any pain I had but after a couple days it wore off and the pain returned. Here are my symptoms currently:
Pain on right side of throat - feels sort of bruised as opposed to the cutting pain I normally have when i get a sore throat
Feels like the roof of my mouth is bruised
Right ear hurts and there is a feeling of pressure there as well
Still a red throat with a few sores
Dizzy dizzy dizzy
I've been waking up with portions of my pillow wet...I assume this qualifies as night sweats
5 months ago I went to an allergist due to intense itching all over my body and started on xzyal. As long as I take the xzyzal the itching is kept at bay. I had a bout of itching all over my body about 11 years ago and took allergy medicine for a couple years, stopped and the itching wasn't there anymore. It just recently came back.
3 years ago I was seen by an ENT because i noticed a weird mass on my right tonsil. He took a look at it and agreed that it should be looked at. I was given a CT scan of my neck with contrast that showed everything to be normal with the exception of a thyroid adenoma which was later confirmed with an ultrasound..

My concern is lymphoma or tonsil cancer and i'm trying to keep my OCD/worry wart nature at bay. Any comments would be appreciated. Does this sound like a normal virus or should I have this investigated further?
I have similar symptoms, except mine are reoccuring. I bought it off (by myself, no antibiotics finally!) only three weeks ago. And now it's back.

I keep being told there's nothing wrong with me excpet that I have chronic throat infections, but something in me isn't right. I can feel it.

I say, even if you are being a little OCD, its better to seek advice and know for sure. I feel like in today's world, when you approach a doctor with a medical concern, they brush it off like you're taking it to far, then they takes months and months to actually order specific tests.

Go talk to your doctor about lymphoma and I'll do the same.

Good luck!
> I keep being told there's nothing wrong with me excpet that I have chronic throat infections, but something in me isn't right. I can feel it.

I would guess that the virus is in other systems as well. Some can be very persistent, especially if your immunity is down. Do you get any dizziness?
Look up leukimia symptoms, if they are reoccurring it might be helpful to look into it