Leukemia & Lymphoma Community
Submandibular Nodes

This patient support community is for discussions relating to all leukemia and lymphoma issues, Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia (CML), ALL, AML, CLL, SLL, anemia, biopsy, bone pain, chemotherapy, Hodgkins Lymphoma, monoclonal antibody therapy, Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma, stem cell transplant , swelling, vaccine therapy, weakness, and weight loss.

Submandibular Nodes

I have had 2 (that I can feel) swollen lymph nodes on the right side of my neck (submandibular) for about 2 months now with no sign of infection or virus, and now there is another one growing on the left side of my neck, they are hard and painless and my doctor just gave me another regime of antibiotics which didnt do anything last time. Other then the swollen nodes I am just tired and I have sort of a plugged feeling in the ear on my right side.. kinda really wierd. I took decongestant pills but they did nothing for my ear. I am frustrated I have made 3 trips to the Dr with no results, it is very uncomfortable. Any Advice?? I live in a small town we only have 1 Dr.
Hi.
What examinations were done on you?
Have you had your nose, throat and ear checked?
Recurrent or chronic infections will cause persistently enlarged lymph nodes.  However, there are other conditions aside from infection that could cause a persistently enlarged lymph nodes.
If CT scan is available in your town, it would be best to have a CT scan of the nasopharynx and neck done.  That will help see if there is an underlying pathology in your nasopharynx or neck that is causing your symptoms.  
Also, a biopsy of the enlarged lymph nodes may be needed in case of progressive enlargement.
Good luck.

The doctor looked at the back of my throat, he also palpated the lymph nodes in my neck and looked in my ear. He Said that my throat and ear looked fine but I did have a couple swollen nodes. We dont have to CT Scanner in our town he would have to refer me to a doctor in the city, and he wont do this because he seems to be convinced that I have a painless/symptomless infection that is resistant to 2 different types of antibiotics. My ear is still plugged and my lymph nodes are the same. my nose is not really stuffy at night. If this is soemthing that is likely not serious then I can ignore it, as my ear is just plugged not sore. If cancer of the nasopharynx is possible in someone whos is 30 I would be worried because all the symptoms that I have are indicators of that. I am just not sure if it is worth making an appointment with another Dr. in a different hospital.
Hi.
Aside from physical examination, were there ancillary procedures done like chest x-ray or x-ray of the paranasal sinuses?  Any blood examinations done?
These are just some of the basic diagnostic procedures that can be performed to know what is the cause of your symptoms.
A trial of antibiotic can also be done, and see whether the enlargement will subside.
You can always go to another doctor for a second opinion.
Be positive.
He has not done any procedures, he is a young doctor with not much experience, I dont hold much faith in him, I am going to give it a couple mroe weeks for the swelling / ear fullness to subside then I am going to make an appointment in the city with another Dr. As I said before I have done 2 bouts antibiotics. I am just a little worried because I have had an ear infection / throat infection before and it has never felt like this before, also when i palpate the submandibulare nodes and try to move them back and forth they click and grind which makes me think there may be more swollen nodes deeper in the neck.
Hi.
As I've previously posted, recurrent or chronic infection can cause persistently enlarged lymph nodes.  I agree with you that you should seek consult with another doctor for second opinion.  It would be best if you seek consult with an ENT specialist.
Please post your updates.
Good luck.