Leukemia & Lymphoma Community
Swollen Inguinal Lymph Nodes

This patient support community is for discussions relating to all leukemia and lymphoma issues, Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia (CML), ALL, AML, CLL, SLL, anemia, biopsy, bone pain, chemotherapy, Hodgkins Lymphoma, monoclonal antibody therapy, Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma, stem cell transplant , swelling, vaccine therapy, weakness, and weight loss.

Swollen Inguinal Lymph Nodes

I am a 22 year old male and have had swollen lymph nodes for the past 6-8 months. About 8 months ago I saw a doctor regarding this issue and was diagnosed with Lymphadenopathy. (I was tested for STDs and came up negative) I was given antibiotics and anti inflammatories and the swelling went down until about a month later when I noticed my inguinal lymph node on the right side was swollen again. It has been swollen since, and now the left side is also beginning to swell a little. I have had the same girlfriend for four years and I was tested for STDs and came up negative so i now its not herpes or HIV. As for a brief medical history.. My mother has SLE Lupus, and about two and a half years ago I had my appendix removed with no complications and I have no other medical issues. I am a college student and unfortunatley cannot afford health insurance so I have not been able to see a doctor. Is this something serious, could it be Lymphoma?

Thank You for your time..
You may have read my post, if you have you will notice that i have the same problem with inguinal nodes, ( they are all over really ).  mine are now 3cm on each side ( there are a few!! ), 1.5cm is considered abnormal and would normally warrent a biopsy in the abscence of infection, viral or bacterial. Do you have any other symptoms at all?? My ANA came back +, only 1:40 though so it is borderline, but could indicate SLE. Apart from STD's have you been tested for anything else? Is the size of your nodes changing? Alot of ?? i know, but it is relevent. Mine have grown quickly from 1cm in Jan to 3cm in Mar and am waiting for a biopsy.

Regards
Teresa
Hi.
I agree with Teresa.
There are many conditions that can cause enlargement of the inguinal lymph nodes.  Lymphoma is just one of them.  Other considerations would be genitourinary tract infections (both recurrent and chronic infections) and metastatic carcinomas.  There is a need to rule-out the other disease conditions in order to have a more definite diagnosis.  You can have one of the lymph nodes biopsied in order to have a more definite diagnosis.  Once there is a definite diagnosis, appropriate treatment can be instituted.
Good luck
Enjoylife, I realize this post is 2 years old, but I was wondering what your status is.  I have had inquinal lymph inflammation on the right side for 14 years.  I believe I have a parasitic infection because of things I've identified under a microscope and the fact that I got it just after returning to South Florida and diving extensively around mangroves in the Keys.  I don't know what doctor to go to to get my inguinal lymph biopsied.  Any suggestions out there?