Leukemia & Lymphoma Community
Swollen Lymph Nodes in Abdominal Area

This patient support community is for discussions relating to all leukemia and lymphoma issues, Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia (CML), ALL, AML, CLL, SLL, anemia, biopsy, bone pain, chemotherapy, Hodgkins Lymphoma, monoclonal antibody therapy, Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma, stem cell transplant , swelling, vaccine therapy, weakness, and weight loss.

Swollen Lymph Nodes in Abdominal Area

HI,
I am writing because I had a CT scan that showed a localized area of swollen lymph nodes in the abdominal area of the superior celiac axis.  My doctor decided to do a wait and see and rescan in 6 months.  SO it's been 6 months and there has been no change.  They is still the small mass that hasn't gotten bigger or smaller.  I have had several abdominal surgeries and have a lot of adhesions and my surgeon doesn't want to cause any more by going in to investigate and biopsy, and says not to worry about it and that it.  SO really my question is should I be ok with letting things sit, and not take this to another doctor to make sure things aren't anything serious?  If it was just an infection wouldn't it had decreased or something over six months.  
Any advice is welcome, thank-you in advance!
Hi, if it is a lymphoma but is indolent (slow growing), then there might not be any reason for any chemo at this time anyway. That's called "watch and wait", even when it's known to be a lymphoma treatment isn't begun unless it changes to a fast growing type. (If it were already a fast growing lymphoma, it would have grown over the 6 months.)

But, it could be that the nodes are scarred from some past infection, that's due to 'fibrosis'. Or, nodes can stay enlarged for a long time from infection, in this case maybe from leaky gut, e.g.

So what to do? You can ask for a PET scan, though that won't necessarily tell the difference between cancer and infection. But if the large nodes don't light up at all, that would be reassuring that they are likely fibrotic.

Since most swollen nodes aren't due to cancer anyway, I would just wait - as advised, even though that's difficult. You didn't say why you'd had abdominal surgeries, but I'd suspect that condition also created the swollen nodes - or maybe the surgeries did. Good luck.