Leukemia & Lymphoma Community
Swollen Lymph Nodes

This patient support community is for discussions relating to all leukemia and lymphoma issues, Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia (CML), ALL, AML, CLL, SLL, anemia, biopsy, bone pain, chemotherapy, Hodgkins Lymphoma, monoclonal antibody therapy, Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma, stem cell transplant , swelling, vaccine therapy, weakness, and weight loss.

Swollen Lymph Nodes

Hello. I have had swollen lymph nodes (on both side of my neck, more on the left, and in my armpit) for a few month, I recently went to the doctor and was put on broad spectrum antibiotics. I have finished the antibiotics but the lymph nodes in my neck are still the same size and the ones in my arm pit are slightly larger. Is this something to be concerned about? I should also been that I have been pretty fatigued for a while and have been experiencing night sweats and mild to moderate chest pain. Thanks.
Hi.
Just have some clarifications.  How old are you?  Are you a male or a female?  Can you feel any lumps in your breast?  Do you have other symptoms aside from those you mentioned?  What other examinations were already done on you?
Swelling or enlargement of the lymph nodes in the neck and axilla (armpit) can be caused by a variety of conditions.  Infection would be a more common cause of such swelling.  Chronic or recurrent infections would make the lymph nodes persistently enlarged and swollen.  Most of the time, even with antibiotic treatment, the lymph nodes would be persistently enlarged.  Recurrent infection would even make the lymph nodes enlarge progressively.  Other considerations for the enlargement or swelling of the lymph nodes would be lymphoma and metastatic carcinomas.  
You are experiencing symptoms of fatigue, sweating, and chest pains.  You may need to undergo further examinations.  Initial examinations that may be done would be a complete blood count and a chest x-ray.  A biopsy of the lymph node is also suggested in order to have a more definite diagnosis.  
Thanks for the response. I am female, in my mid-20's. Breast are fine. No other symptoms beside what I mentioned above. I have lost some weigh but nothing major. When I went to the doctor, I had bloodwork done, I am not sure exactly what, but everything came back normal. Wouldn't anything serious show up in the blood work? Thank you again
Hi.
If there is an infection, it will reflect in the complete blood count as increase in the white blood cell count.  Chronic diseases like chronic infections may additionally show some degree of anemia.  Malignancies can also cause mild to moderate anemia.
Breast cancer can present with axillary lymphadenopathy.  There are even times when axillary lymphadenopathy is the only clinical presentation of breast cancer.  It’s good to know though that you do not feel any lumps in your breasts.  
I would suggest that you have other examinations done like a chest x-ray.  If there is progressive enlargement or swelling of the lymph nodes, or if you have worsening symptoms, you can have the lymph node biopsied.
Good luck.
Hello again. This morning I noticed a few more swollen lymph nodes on the left side of my neck, as well as what seems to be a lymph node along my jaw, about an inch from my ear. It seems odd to me. I am scheduled to go back to the doctor in about a month, but I was just wondering if this is significant at all or even related? Thanks!
Hi.
Thanks for the update.
You have appearance of new lymph nodes in the neck area.  You are experiencing symptoms of fatigue, sweating, and chest pains.  I believe this warrants further examination.  I would suggest consult with your doctor.  Perhaps a biopsy of one of the lymph nodes can be done in order to have a more definite diagnosis.  Only when a diagnosis is made that a specific treatment can be given to you.  
Please do post any update.
Good luck.
Hello again. Over the past couple weeks, I have started itching a lot. I have been using cortisone cream but it hasn't been all that helpful. The itching is pretty miserable, is there anything you can recommend to help? Thanks! Hope all is well.
Have you had your thyroid levels checked?  I've had similar symptoms and it turned out to be hashi's thyroid disease