Leukemia & Lymphoma Community
Swollen Occipital Node

This patient support community is for discussions relating to all leukemia and lymphoma issues, Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia (CML), ALL, AML, CLL, SLL, anemia, biopsy, bone pain, chemotherapy, Hodgkins Lymphoma, monoclonal antibody therapy, Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma, stem cell transplant , swelling, vaccine therapy, weakness, and weight loss.

Swollen Occipital Node

Hi, and thank you for taking the time for to review my questions. I am a 44 year old woman recently diagnosed with diverticulitis and put on cipro/flagyl for 10 days.  I was given both a ct scan and abdominal  xrays while in the ER for diverticulitis, both tests they did did not show any para aortic, or pelvic lymphedema. However, I just noticed that I have a swollen occipital node, it is non-tender about 1.5 cm in size and somewhat firm, it doesnt seem to move around much either. I have not recently been sick with cold etc...

I also  had a complete cbc that only showed eleved neutrophils and lowered lymphocytes which the dr said was indicitive of the diverticulitis infection. I have no other symptoms, no fatigue, night sweats, weight loss, fever etc. I dont notice any other swollen lymph nodes....

How concerned should I be about the possibility of lymphoma ?

Thanks for your time!
How concerned? A doc might suggest just seeing if it gets larger. Merely reactive nodes can only get so big. If it were to get quickly larger, that's be a big cause for concern. Also maybe if it were unusual in terms of shape, or even if it seems oddly divided.

However, it might not necessarily be a node, the other alternatives being a sebaceous cyst or a lipoma. If it were a node, then by its location it could react to infection in the scalp, or something like psoriasis. At 1.5 cm it could still be a reactive node.

If it is very slow growing, it could still be an indolent lymphoma like Follicular.