Leukemia & Lymphoma Community
Swollen lymph nodes and feeling like I'm having a complete breakdo...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to all leukemia and lymphoma issues, Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia (CML), ALL, AML, CLL, SLL, anemia, biopsy, bone pain, chemotherapy, Hodgkins Lymphoma, monoclonal antibody therapy, Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma, stem cell transplant , swelling, vaccine therapy, weakness, and weight loss.

Swollen lymph nodes and feeling like I'm having a complete breakdown

I noticed swollen lymph nodes in groin and neck after having a sexual encounter with a female that I had met at a club. At the time I thought it was an STD but since then have had MANY tests for all the STD's you could think of, results always being negative. I then got told I had sinusitis after being refered to the ear, nose and throat department at the hospital. They gave me blood tests, ultrasound and all the typical tests you would expect for swollen lymph nodes. They said that they could not find anything, however I heard only a biopsy may truly show the issues causing the swollen nodes but all the doctors are convinced there is nothing wrong. When I first discovered the lymph nodes the doctor said yes there definately swollen, then the guy doing the ultrasound said they aren't, but they're bigger then an inch in some places? I also have a few pea sized ones.

Since then my groin is back to normal, however my neck and under my jaw has quite a few swollen lymph nodes which haven't gone away and its been maybe over a year now. I keep going back to the doctors (the last time being yesterday) as I've been told pressuring them is the only way to get them to take action, but they always turn me away like nothing is wrong. I'm so confused, I don't know whether to believe what they're telling me because doctors always have different opinions from other doctors so how can I rely on what one says? I need some advice and facts on lymph nodes because at this moment I'm having a complete breakdown from worry.  
Hi there.  Welcome to the forum.  It sounds like you've really been through a lot with these swollen nodes.  Do you remember feeling sick during the time these nodes got bigger?  You are right about a biopsy being the only way to know for sure if it's lymphoma.  However, if it was lymphoma you would probably have developed other symptoms by now like fevers, night sweats, or weight loss.  Also, the doctors probably would see something abnormal in your blood work.  I can also tell you that swollen nodes is more often a sign of infection than cancer.  Sometimes the nodes stay swollen and don't reduce back to their normal size after an infection.  

If I were you, I'd see a different doctor and request a biopsy.  If they aren't willing to do that, possibly a PET scan could be done.  
I've already seen every doctor in my GP and they all dismiss me presuming I'm some paranoid freak, which is fair to a certain extent. I have been sick but on and off, never continuously. These other symptoms, are they really obvious? I mean I have night sweats from time to time but never too bad. I always have a NASTY smell in the back of my nose which I was told was sinusitis. Yesterday I was told if there was a problem they would know from all the tests they've done and ASSURED me its nothing, but if lymph nodes were fighting an infection surely I shouldn't still have them swollen after a year? What are they fighting? Why should I not be paranoid?! I'm getting VERY angry with these useless doctors, some hardly speak English and they don't seem to understand what I'm explaining, its RIDICULOUS! They tell me nothings wrong like they've rehersed what to say on a script!

I just want to be normal again...
Any help? I've seen so many different doctors, so thats not an option!
The symptoms I described to you are usually pretty severe.  The night sweats are usually so bad that you need to change your sheets and clothes.  Weight loss is 10% or more in a 6 mo. period.  I can tell you that these symptoms don't usually show up unless you have advanced disease.   Yes, you can have swollen nodes for a very long time if they are residual nodes (like scar tissue) from an infection.  Sometimes they never go away.  

Your doctors probably don't want to do anything invasive like a biopsy unless they have good reason to believe you might have cancer.  If your blood work was abnormal or you presented with other symptoms (like fevers, night sweats or weight loss), they might be more willing to run more tests.  If I were you I wouldn't worry about it unless you develope other symptoms.