Leukemia & Lymphoma Community
Unexplained fever in my two year old

This patient support community is for discussions relating to all leukemia and lymphoma issues, Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia (CML), ALL, AML, CLL, SLL, anemia, biopsy, bone pain, chemotherapy, Hodgkins Lymphoma, monoclonal antibody therapy, Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma, stem cell transplant , swelling, vaccine therapy, weakness, and weight loss.

Unexplained fever in my two year old

Hello everyone, a few weeks ago my son started out with a high fever and complaining of back pain.  We thought maybe something kidney or urinary related as he was urinating as often..of course we know this could be because of the fever.  We saw his doctor and he ordered a CBC and flu culture.  The first CBC two weeks ago came back with elevated WBC, and the doc gave him a shot of Rocephin and put him on Zythromax.  After the meds, he seemed to be doing better, the fever was down.  After about 24 hours of being off, the fever came back at about 102, then came down and hung out at a low grade of around 100.5 rectally.  The other day, I noticed a large lump under his armpit, and the doctor did confirm it was a lymph node.  I ended up with a different doctor, thank goodness because I wasn't getting answers before.  He ordered another CBC with a Sed rate count.  WBC came back still elevated and his platelets have doubled and are now elevated.  His neutriphils are a little high as well.  His Sed rate came back at 77, and normal is 0-15.  He is still runing low grades.  No other symptoms, he has tested negative for flu, mono, and menigitis (meningitis).  Urine came back fine as well as blood cultures.  We have been referred to a hemotology doctor.  What are your thoughts in this?  He has remained pretty hush on the topic.  You can look at my son and tell his not himself.  Hes a ball of energy, and he still has his moments, and other moments he just looks drained.  His doctor wanted me to wait for his brother to gegt back into the country, however that would put us in Decemeber to get him seen.  Im not comfortable with his brother, so I was able to get an appointment with nemours childrens clinic.  I would rather not go into this blindly, any light that can be shed please let me know.
I'm so sorry to hear about your son.  I hope you find some answers soon.  I'm not very good at deciphering labs, but what I can tell you is that infection and lymphoma/leukemia can often be mistaken for eachother.  Similar symptoms include swollen lymph nodes and fever.  I'm wondering if a different antibiotic would do the trick?  Some antibiotics are very specific to certain bacteria, and Zythromax may not be the right one.  My nephew just went through a similar situation and had a sore on his finger that swelled up and had to be surgically drained numerous times.  His lymph nodes under the same are swelled up and his doctor ended up giving him several kinds of antibiotics to try and clear it up.  The third one finally did the trick.  Just a theory.

However, it sounds like your doctor saw something in your sons labs that required the expertise of a hematologist.  I would definately see one if that is the recommendation.  Good luck and keep us posted.