Leukemia & Lymphoma Community
Very worried about a hard lump on back of head

This patient support community is for discussions relating to all leukemia and lymphoma issues, Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia (CML), ALL, AML, CLL, SLL, anemia, biopsy, bone pain, chemotherapy, Hodgkins Lymphoma, monoclonal antibody therapy, Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma, stem cell transplant , swelling, vaccine therapy, weakness, and weight loss.

Hi.  I recently developed a hard painful lump on the back of my head it is about 1 1/2 inches long and 1 inch wide.  It is rather almond or oval shapped.  It is located on the right side of my head where you have those two equal hard spots (on the left and right).  I went to my dr. and was told it was probably a swollen lymph node due to an infection, more then likely an impacted wisdom tooth was causing it, because when I press on it and it hurts it will also throb at the same time on my top wisdom tooth on the right side of my mouth.  Cancer runs in my family so I am very concerned and not very satisfied with the answer I received.  I have read numerous articles where it says that a swollen lymph node cause by infection are rubbery and moveable.  This is NOT!  He spent around 2 minutes with me and told me to give it 2 weeks.  Can anyone please help me with this so it is not a long and stressful two weeks.  It appeared overnight and has stayed the same size.
That's what i've heard from doctors too: give it 2 weeks.  Even if it's there after 2 weeks, it couldn't have changed much if it was cancer, that doesn't grow that fast.  If they were worried about cancer they'd put a needle in the lymph node to biopsy it, but you have a good reason to have swollen lymph nodes: that wisdom tooth!