Leukemia & Lymphoma Community
What does my blood panel mean?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to all leukemia and lymphoma issues, Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia (CML), ALL, AML, CLL, SLL, anemia, biopsy, bone pain, chemotherapy, Hodgkins Lymphoma, monoclonal antibody therapy, Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma, stem cell transplant , swelling, vaccine therapy, weakness, and weight loss.

What does my blood panel mean?

I just got my blood work done for the first time in ten years and the results said i need to make an appointment with my doctor for the folowing reasons:
WBC   3.3  low  scale 4-10.8
MCH    32.4 High  scale 26-32
Lymphocyte %  49.6 high  scale 13-45
Neutrophil abs count  1.4 low   scale 2.2-4.8
Monocyte abs count  .2 low  scale .3-.8

I was poking around the internet and a lot of things these readings have in common is leukemia and lymphoma so naturally I am really concerned. I am going to go to the doctor next day I have off of school but I was hoping someone could help tell me some possiblities to calm me down or help prepare me for what might be coming. Thanks
Tags: high lymphocyte, low neutrophil, low wbc, high MCH, low monocyte
Often times, people come to this forum to ask about results of blood work they received and if there is any correlation to having a blood cancer.  It’s important to know that blood counts alone can’t determine if you have a blood cancer, but they can alert your doctor if further testing is needed.  Interpreting blood test results is not black and white, as there can be many different reasons for the results you see.

There are several types of WBC's in your body and your blood test should show a differential, a break down of the different WBC's and their levels.  Knowing what kind of WBC's are low can help narrow down the problem, but a blood test is usually not diagnostic...it is more like a tool to help the doctor see if more testing (like a biopsy or scan) is needed.  How was your LDH level?  High LDH is often indicative of a malignancy.

There are so many reasons that can skew a blood test, and most time than not it's due to something other than cancer.  Keep your chin up and keep us posted after you speak to the doctor.
Hi:  You just said a lot by saying you were poking around the internet.  That can be the worst thing to do in some cases.  You read all these different things, and then you start to feel every symptom they are talking about.  You start thinking you have all these terrible diseases.
Just see a good doctor, who will do the proper testing to find out what is going on to evaluate these abnormal blood counts.
It can be something very simple and treatable, so do not imagine you have Leukemia etc.