Leukemia & Lymphoma Community
What to expect with a lymph node biopsy (neck)

This patient support community is for discussions relating to all leukemia and lymphoma issues, Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia (CML), ALL, AML, CLL, SLL, anemia, biopsy, bone pain, chemotherapy, Hodgkins Lymphoma, monoclonal antibody therapy, Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma, stem cell transplant , swelling, vaccine therapy, weakness, and weight loss.

I'm wondering if anyone who has had a lymph node biopsy (neck) can share any experiences.

I'm having a full excisional biopsy of my submandibular lymph node in a couple of weeks and wondering what to expect. The surgeon said I will definately have a scar but I was wondering what others experience was like. i.e. how was the bruising and swelling afterwards and how long did it take for you to get your results (I have a follow up appointment pencilled in for 7 working days after the biopsy). I have all the symptoms of lymphoma - enlarged lymph nodes in the neck, axillary, groin etc, deep muscle like itch on my legs, night sweats, low blood counts etc so the biopsy will rule this in or out. But what I am looking for is anyone who has had a biopsy of neck lymph nodes and how it went, did you have any swelling, bruising, drainage/wound issues afterwards?
Hi, my father had an excisional biopsy at the back of his neck. I don't recall that there was anything extraordinary - in and out surgery and the healing went normally without much fuss. The scar was slight, considering. However, much later he had an inguinal resection and that resulted in a lymphocele which lasted quite a while. So, I guess you never know until you do it but a lymphocele is rare AFAIK.

As far as timing of results, I'd assume the histopathology can easily be available in time for your followup visit. They're just staining and looking with a microscope. Depending on what they see, they might order more complicated followup analysis like flow cytometry and then possibly FISH. For those, they might have to send away to a specialized lab that performs those tests.

The histopathology might or might not be definitive as to type.

If the results are positive then they'd go into rush mode and schedule a BMB quickly. Still, with a diagnosis of an indolent type like follicular lymphoma, the treatment might be merely watch-and-wait.

That's all concerning NHL, anyway - at your age I suppose HD is generally more likely and I don't know if the same applies as for NHL. Also this experience is for US, not UK. Good luck and I hope you end up being diagnosed just with some immune condition.