Leukemia & Lymphoma Community
abnormal lymph node

This patient support community is for discussions relating to all leukemia and lymphoma issues, Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia (CML), ALL, AML, CLL, SLL, anemia, biopsy, bone pain, chemotherapy, Hodgkins Lymphoma, monoclonal antibody therapy, Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma, stem cell transplant , swelling, vaccine therapy, weakness, and weight loss.

abnormal lymph node

Hi!  I had a total thyroidectomy in 2005.  The surgeon damaged one of my parathyroid glands during surgery.  Anyway, my thyroid levels have been all messed up ever since.  I finally found a good doctor who said that my thyroid levels were dangerously low.  He increased my medication and had me get a sonogram of my thyroid.  With the results, he found that my thyroid tissue was regrowing and that I have multiple cervical lymph nodes...one of which is vascular and has no fatty center.  I go for a biopsy in a month, but does anyone have any idea what could be going on?  A month is a long time to worry!  Thanks in advance!
When you say he ordered a sonogram on your thyroid, I'm assuming you mean of the area your thyroid used to be?  I'm not sure what it means when a node is vascular and has no fatty center.  Was this the reason you are having a biopsy?  What did your doctor say?
After doing a little more research, what you described about that one lymph node seems a little worrisome.  Hopefully you can answer a few more questions so we can try and help you.  Can you tell me why was your thyroid removed?  Was it due to a thyroid malignancy or something else.  Are you or have you been taking radioactive iodine?

I'm not sure why your doctor has you waiting a whole month for a biopsy but it might be a good idea (even if to just put your mind at ease) to call and see if they can get you in earlier.  Keep in mind once the biopsy is done it can take weeks for the final pathology results to get back.