Leukemia & Lymphoma Community
categorization of lymphoma
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to all leukemia and lymphoma issues, Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia (CML), ALL, AML, CLL, SLL, anemia, biopsy, bone pain, chemotherapy, Hodgkins Lymphoma, monoclonal antibody therapy, Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma, stem cell transplant , swelling, vaccine therapy, weakness, and weight loss.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

categorization of lymphoma

Hi ,

I have a doubt in the categorization of lymphoma.

I assume Lymphoma has been primarily classified into two types. Hodgkin s and Non Hodgkin s.

Under which type does Nodular Lymphocyte predominant Hodgkin s Lymphoma falls?

And which one of HL or NHL is associated with HIV.

I have been diagnosed with NLPHL recently and doctor has asked to take HIV test so I am a bit tense.

Please help.

Thanks

Tags: NLPHL
Related Discussions
907672_tn?1381029323
Hi lymphpatient,
I'm sorry to hear of your diagnosis.  You are correct that there are two classifications: Hodgkins and Non-Hodgkins lymphoma.  Your disease falls under Hodgkins.  What's the difference?  The type of white blood cells that are affected, called lymphocytes.  There is a particular cell called the Reed-Sternberg cell that is only seen in Hodgkins.  It is important for doctors to know the difference as treatment can be very different for each.

I believe that HIV is seen in both HL and NHL, but overall I think it's rare for both.  I too was asked to take an HIV test after being diagnosed with NHL because I had a previous blood transfusion.  I think your chances of being diagnosed with both HL and HIV are pretty slim.  

Please keep us posted.  
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Leukemia & Lymphoma Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank