categorization of lymphoma
Hi ,

I have a doubt in the categorization of lymphoma.

I assume Lymphoma has been primarily classified into two types. Hodgkin s and Non Hodgkin s.

Under which type does Nodular Lymphocyte predominant Hodgkin s Lymphoma falls?

And which one of HL or NHL is associated with HIV.

I have been diagnosed with NLPHL recently and doctor has asked to take HIV test so I am a bit tense.

Please help.

Hi lymphpatient,
I'm sorry to hear of your diagnosis.  You are correct that there are two classifications: Hodgkins and Non-Hodgkins lymphoma.  Your disease falls under Hodgkins.  What's the difference?  The type of white blood cells that are affected, called lymphocytes.  There is a particular cell called the Reed-Sternberg cell that is only seen in Hodgkins.  It is important for doctors to know the difference as treatment can be very different for each.

I believe that HIV is seen in both HL and NHL, but overall I think it's rare for both.  I too was asked to take an HIV test after being diagnosed with NHL because I had a previous blood transfusion.  I think your chances of being diagnosed with both HL and HIV are pretty slim.  

Please keep us posted.