Leukemia & Lymphoma Community
cd4 & cd8 levels came back abnormal

This patient support community is for discussions relating to all leukemia and lymphoma issues, Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia (CML), ALL, AML, CLL, SLL, anemia, biopsy, bone pain, chemotherapy, Hodgkins Lymphoma, monoclonal antibody therapy, Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma, stem cell transplant , swelling, vaccine therapy, weakness, and weight loss.

cd4 & cd8 levels came back abnormal

I have been through the round with doctors and some blood work came back abnormal.  Does anyone know why it would be?  The doctor will do more test but I have to wait until 6-12 and I am having anxeity about it being Lymphoma.  My neck, chest and other lymph nodes have been swollen and have been having night sweats on and off.  Also, blurry vision that last for 1-2 hours after a intense workout.  Right temple aches and pressure behind the right eye always present.  At night I woke up trembling at times with the sweats.  I a bit frighten and would love to hear some feed back.
Hi, yours is an interesting case and so I looked also at your journal. I'd presume that your elevated T-lymphocytes are part of your Giant Cell Arteritis. Most/all of your symptoms are consistent with that.

If you get the biopsy, they'll look for the immune cells called macrophages which make up the "Giant cell" formation. There would then also be associated T-cells (the CD4s and CD8s).

"Vasculitic T Cells in Giant Cell Arteritis" 2010
http://www.vasculitisfoundation.org/node/1882

If the corticosteroids have lessened your symptoms, then that anti-inflammatory effect is also a big clue that you have arteritis.

Also consider the following: a lot of exercise will create inflammation. That will worsen the inflammation which is at the root of the arteritis. I noticed that your vision often gets worse after exercise. If it were me, I'd back off of the exercise. I assume that will be difficult for you :)

But it seems to me that you are playing with fire by continuing. If you had mentioned your exercise/training to your doc and she hasn't recommended greatly reducing the exercise, then that's surprising to me.

It sounds as if you also have the associated "Polymyalgia Rheumatica", when you talk about "My neck, chest and other lymph nodes have been swollen".

You are younger than the usual age for these conditions. Do you have a family history of autoimmune diseases, such as Lupus or Rheumatoid Arthritis? Or did you have some infection before these problems started?

Since this looks like a disease of the arteries, I wouldn't focus on going to a neurologist.
Thank you so much!  It's nice to get a reply.  Saw the doctor today.  My cd4 was 32 and my cd3 was 485.  The cd4/cd8 ratio was 1.1 (normal range is 0.9-5.7) came back normal?  I thought they said over the phone that the cd8 was low too but it's not the case.  The one they are more concerned about is the Angio Convert Enzymes at 115.  A high range.  Normal (9-67).

I wish they can find out what is causing me to feel so ill.  It is so depressing feeling so bad.  It's not like me...to be feeling like this.  I am a very active person and I am involved in so many fund raisers.  Doing marathons, overnight relays and tri's, bike tours.  Raising money for research.  Didn't think I would be sitting on the other side of the fence.  

When I was discharged from the hopital they diagnosed me with vasculitis.  So, your right about T-Cell Artery.  Which they would do a biospy.  I have slowed down on the excerise and training.  Limit myself to an hour.  Haven't had any blurry vision since I haven't been out doing long training.  Again, thank you so much for taking the time to read my post and reply!
AFAIK the low end of normal for CD4 is 500, so 32 is very low. I don't know the figures for other tests.

The high ACE would initially point to sarcoidosis. Did they want a lung scan?

The connection between sarcoidosis and Giant Cell Arteritis? They are both granulomatous diseases, wherein the immune cells surround and wall off some pathogen.

All of the exercise and other activity would tend to weaken the immune system. That goes for psychological stress, too. For instance, there is something called 'caretaker syndrome' where the person taking care of a loved one gets sick, usually from a virus.
Wow!  Your right on the money with Sarcoidosis!  I did some reseach and it is a under one of the vaculities sympthoms.  A multisystem granulomatic disorder.  Also the disorder mimics Lymphoma and TB.  Going for more blood work today and then the doc. ordered a MRI and CT of chest.  Here is the other "kicker".  When the doc. ask me if I have done anything different before the sympthoms than it hit me!  I have been putting tile down and the grout/portland cement particle dust contains crystalline silica and other dust particles.  One bag of the grout had busted open when I dropped it and causesing the dust to go everywhere and all over me.  I believe this is the cause.  Gezzz....  What have I done!
Well, the silica might explain things. The lung x-ray supposedly would tell. It also seems that silicosis might set off autoimmunity.

Could cytokines from macrophages in the lungs result in the temporal arteritis that you feel in your right temple? Maybe, I guess. The diagnosis is getting exotic :)

But I don't think you've experienced shortness of breath, right?
I have experience shortness of breath and wheezing (on a start of a run) back in March for the first time (started doing tile work).  It was so bad that I turned around and walked back home.  I only went half a mile away from home when it started.  When I got home my husband gave me his inhaler and I started to calm down.  I have never experinced a scary moment like the one above.  My breathing went back to normal and continued with my daily activities.  The next time it happened real bad was during the half iron man (back in April) and that was more like a rope around my upper chest being tightened with every step (it included the blurry vision).

Presently, I get this annoying dry cough and it feels like something is in my upper right chest.  Went for a slow 7 mile run yesterday (can't get a full breath..shallow) and after the run it felt like something rattleing in the right upper lung.  Wanted to cough it up but it doesn't want to cough up.  Still some pressure behind right eye but no blurry vision.  My head for the last two days have been fantastic!
well, let's see... that sounds more like exercise induced asthma, both because of how it arose and also because of how the inhaler (albuterol or similar?) resolved it

silicosis can have acute onset but AFAIK would cause SOB all the time

btw, severe asthma can be fatal so there's something else to consider - maybe carry an inhaler just to be safe

the mechanism is possibly this: the mast cells (immune cells) in the lung are unstable and released their histamine as a result of the exercise. They might be unstable because of an immune system that is too active.

But then why would your T-cells be low? I don't know, but if T-suppressor cells are low then your whole immune system can be too revved up.

If you have 'crackles' in your lungs and wheezing then that's probably from mucous, they are inflamed. Clear mucous usually means a virus, colored (green, yellow) means usually bacteria, red means bleeding.

Did you have a really bad cold before your troubles started? If so, I'd think CFS.

When did you last have a lung scan?
any fever?