Leukemia & Lymphoma Community
coexistence of cll & Hashimoto's

This patient support community is for discussions relating to all leukemia and lymphoma issues, Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia (CML), ALL, AML, CLL, SLL, anemia, biopsy, bone pain, chemotherapy, Hodgkins Lymphoma, monoclonal antibody therapy, Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma, stem cell transplant , swelling, vaccine therapy, weakness, and weight loss.

coexistence of cll & Hashimoto's

I have just had a biopsy on several nodules in my thyroid.  I also have Hashimoto's & cll.  My thyroid is very diseased and the endroconologist recommends removal regardless of the result of the biopsies.  My question is am I an increased surgical risk because of the cll?  My WBC was 123,000 the last time that it was checked-about a month ago.
I know who I would want to do the surgery but I have to find a new specialist for CLL as Johns Hopkins no longer has anyone who is considered to be an expert.  Where do I go first, the surgeon or the oncologist specializxing in cll?  Thank you for you assistance.
The presence of the CLL may increase risk if you were undergoing surgery for the lower limb or the pelvis, because there is some concern of increased blood clots which could damage the lungs. Since you are undergoing thyroid, the risk for this phenomenon baseline is not high. Further, there are medications that can be used to control the risk for this phenomenon. Its best you see a hematologist first to ascertain how controlled the CLL is prior to going under the knife. He may also do some tests to check how easily you perform blood clots before surgery.
Hi, my name is Macaroon. I was diagnosed with CLL 7 years ago, and have unergone chemotherapy twice. My oncologist prescribes Fludaribine. First round of chemo went OK. My latest round was last year, and my  lungs got all inflamed and it was difficult to
breathe. MY onco sent me to a lung specialist, and he showed me the scan which looked like my lungs were covered with jagged bits of glass. The further I got away from chemo, the better I felt. The specialist advised me to never again take fludarabine which is what had caused the lung problem. I also just came through 6 weeks with blood clots in my legs going to my lungs.I spent a full month in the hospital while they matched me with a drug called warfarin. I am feeling now that I am going to need treatment soon for the CLL, and I hope my oncologist has plan B waiting for me.
Has anyone used meds other than fludarabine in chemo, and if so, could you tell me what you used so that I may gather information on it. I also have paraneoplastic syndrome diagnosed by my neurologist which causes difficulty in keeping my balance. I would like to hear from someone who can help me with this.
thanks, Macaroon    
My mother has CLL and they are using FCR treatment for her: Fludarabine+Cytoxan+Rituximab. She is responding well to this treatment. You can read about the other 2 components and talk to you oncologist about them. The best of luck!