Leukemia & Lymphoma Community
could this be hodgkins?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to all leukemia and lymphoma issues, Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia (CML), ALL, AML, CLL, SLL, anemia, biopsy, bone pain, chemotherapy, Hodgkins Lymphoma, monoclonal antibody therapy, Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma, stem cell transplant , swelling, vaccine therapy, weakness, and weight loss.

could this be hodgkins?

my huband has been ill since the begin of the year, started with HA's which we went to his neuro dr because we thought he needed his meds changed. His SX have progressively worse, he had many tests at first that were normal, they did find 2 nodules on his thyroid which they biopsied and that was ok too. he then got a lot of swelling in RT side of neck, at first i thought it may have been infection from the biopsy, he was placed on antibiotic and no improvement. He feels like something is pressing against his throat causing difficulty in swallowing and eating, we are going to ENT tomorrow, he had some chest pains yesterday, his blood tests are normal, they do show decrease in RED blood cells, showing signs of anemia, which explains the fatique.
the dr put him on steriods to help the swelling in the neck, but that is not working eiher.

is there anyone who has hodgkins or knows of someone, all my husbands SX point to Hodgkins, but the Dr's have not suggested it yet

please help
Hi.
Just want to clarify if the biopsy was done on the thyroid nodules.
When you said swelling on the right side of the neck, did you mean you have palpable lymph nodes in that area?  Perhaps that should be biopsied in order to find out what is causing it.
Most of the time, the enlarged lymph nodes of Hodgkin's lymphoma would resolve with steroid intake.  Steroid can be given if the patient is experiencing symptoms like difficulty of breathing, preferably after a biopsy is done.
It would be best to have your husband evaluated by his ENT specialist.
Please post your updates.
Good luck.
yes we had a biopsy done almost 1 month now and it came back ok. Yes he does have palpable lymph nodes from his mandible to his collar bone, and they are very painful, i am going to ask the dr about us getting the lymph nodes biopsied along with another biopsy of the thyroid

my husband finished his steroids on Sat 2/16, and he had very little pain in his neck and swallowing seemed good, he was actually able to eat a steak, but then sunday he got worse again increase pain in neck, swelling, and the nodules of the thyroid are actually visible now, difficulty swallowing again
the dr put him back on steriods monday

he has been complaining of CP ,not cardiac related, he says it feels like a constant pinching, this has been happening a week now, not really improving, he now has a lump on the RT side of his sternum, that appeared monday night

Could this lump be a lymph node?
I never heard of lymph nodes being palpable in the mediastinum area
if it is not a lymph node, do you have any idea what it could be?

Hi.

The pain and swelling in the neck could be secondary to the pressure effect by the enlarged lymph nodes on the surrounding normal structures in the neck.

Lymph nodes in the chest are located within the chest cavity, surrounding the vital structures like the bronchus, etc.  How would you characterize the lump you found on the right side of the sternum?  

I would suggest to have a biopsy of the enlarged cervical lymph nodes in order to have a more definite diagnosis.