Leukemia & Lymphoma Community
enlarged lymph nodes

This patient support community is for discussions relating to all leukemia and lymphoma issues, Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia (CML), ALL, AML, CLL, SLL, anemia, biopsy, bone pain, chemotherapy, Hodgkins Lymphoma, monoclonal antibody therapy, Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma, stem cell transplant , swelling, vaccine therapy, weakness, and weight loss.

enlarged lymph nodes

I really don't understand this and I am also worried. I had a ct scan done of my Abdomen and Pelvis area and the Doctor, who is a surgeon told me that I have 1 CM lymph nodes but what has him worried is that I have more than he ever seen before. There are also some bigger than 1cm also. He told me that it is not so much the size that he is concerned about but the number of them being so great. He wants me to have another ct scan done to compare with the other ct but my insurance is giving him a hard time about the ct scan. I am worried sick so could anybody tell me what they think is going on and if I have anything to worry about and the reason for having these enlarged lymph nodes. Thanks alot, I really appreciate any help.
Hi.
Just have some clarifications.  Why did you undergo CT scan of the abdomen and pelvis?  Are you experiencing any symptoms?  Do you have palpable lymph nodes in the inguinal area?
The abdominal cavity and the pelvic cavity have extensive network of lymph nodes.  When there is an infection in the genitourinary tract, pelvis, or any abdominal organs, these lymph nodes tend to enlarge.  However, aside from infection, there are also other conditions that could cause enlargement of these intraabdominal lymph nodes.  Examples would be lymphoma, metastatic carcinomas, or sarcomas.
If you can palpate any lymph node in the inguinal area that is accessible, you can have it biopsied so that you can have a better picture of what you have.
Good luck.