Leukemia & Lymphoma Community
hard mass in neck muscle

This patient support community is for discussions relating to all leukemia and lymphoma issues, Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia (CML), ALL, AML, CLL, SLL, anemia, biopsy, bone pain, chemotherapy, Hodgkins Lymphoma, monoclonal antibody therapy, Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma, stem cell transplant , swelling, vaccine therapy, weakness, and weight loss.

hard mass in neck muscle

Hi,  23 y/o female........I have a question regarding a lump in my neck muscle.  It has been there for about a year and I dont think it has grown any larger.  It seems to be located deep to the sternomastoid muscle just under the mastoid process of the skull.  My doctor said it felt like a trigger point...however it does not hurt at all and feels like it is almost inside or attached to the muscle.  It is not visible to the naked eye and can only be felt when slight pressure is applied directly over the muscle.  It seems to be aobut 2x2cm and feels like bone.  Any ideas?
Hi there.

I also have this sort of 2x2cm mass just underneath where the sternocleidomastoid attaches to the skull.  It has been there for years now and has not given me any problems.  Possible causes are trigger points, lymph nodes, or neoplastic growth.  I suggest that you observe these lesions carefully and that you should consult your doctor for any changes.  Imaging studies like MRI can also give us an idea of what that mass is (if you are really bothered by it).

Hope this helps.  Regards and God bless
I know this post is late, however I was wondering if you had found out anything regarding your small neck mass? I am also a 23 y/o female and have something similar that I noticed in my neck just below my mastoid process about 2 months ago... mine is about a centimeter or so in length and can be moved around a bit; after visiting my primary care doctor I had an ultrasound of the mass and it is in my muscle. They are referring me to an ENT to have it aspirated... I'm a little nervous although my gut tells me it's nothing. Hope everything is well for you!