Leukemia & Lymphoma Community
heredity & leukemia (AML)

This patient support community is for discussions relating to all leukemia and lymphoma issues, Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia (CML), ALL, AML, CLL, SLL, anemia, biopsy, bone pain, chemotherapy, Hodgkins Lymphoma, monoclonal antibody therapy, Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma, stem cell transplant , swelling, vaccine therapy, weakness, and weight loss.

heredity & leukemia (AML)

Here is the basics about my situation.  My grandfather passed away at age 46 of leukemia.  He had 5 kids including my father.  My oldest Aunt and My father both have passed away from AML.  My Aunt at 49 and my father at 54 just last month.  His youngest sister (my other Aunt) has MDS which will form into Leukemia. She is 45. My father had MDS as well before it turned to AML.  I have two uncles that are 50 and 59 respectively and are fine.  It appears as if it has skipped the even number kids of my fathers brothers and sisters.  The first Uncle is the 2nd born and the second uncle who is fine, was the 4th born.

What I would like to know is what would be the chances that me or my 2 siblings could get Leukemia?  Is it in fact hereditary?  In my family it appears so. Has anyone ever heard of cases like this? Is there any Tests out there I can get done to see if I have some sort of Gene for this?

any help would be appreciated/