Leukemia & Lymphoma Community
leukemia

This patient support community is for discussions relating to all leukemia and lymphoma issues, Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia (CML), ALL, AML, CLL, SLL, anemia, biopsy, bone pain, chemotherapy, Hodgkins Lymphoma, monoclonal antibody therapy, Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma, stem cell transplant , swelling, vaccine therapy, weakness, and weight loss.

leukemia

Had bad blood tests results over 6 mos. High wbc, high calcium, high lymph, low hemoglobin, low rbc, now platelets. Hematologist was abt to do bone marrow test. Her inclination was toward leukemia but which type so we were to do the marrow biopsy.That day she ran bloodwork again. She found wbc improved significantly yet still showed anemia in blood work. Said bone marrow test not needed. I have been weak and ill for so long and in lots of pain. Dr. Said this could be anemia. I think the dr. Is wonderful and I will take her advice and suppl. Iron and eat better. We re test bllod in 3 mos. Is there ever a case the leukemia is not evident in blood work and just comes back?  I have enlarged lymp node near heart and some additional tissue on spleen. She indicated this normal.  I trust her. Of course .just wondered if tests could be wrong
Hi, I looked also at your other posts. I'd go to a Chronic Fatigue Syndrome group (also called Myalgic Encephalomyelitis) and compare symptoms.

CFS/ME often starts from a viral infection which can raise lymphocytes and lower red blood cells. Is your pain mostly in the muscle? Do you feel like fainting or have dizziness from low blood pressure? Get destroyed from exercise? get often out of breath? It can also cause abnormal brain MRI, etc.

No, you would not likely have leukemia and it just goes away.
So much has been ruled out by Neurologist but next visit I will inquire about this. Thank you so much for your response. The hematologist was focusing on some kind of blood disorder due to the differntials she had for a few months. The high calcium was also a clue in as well, I just feel so much pain but not muscular as far as I can tell it is  along the bones in the legs. I am anemic so I will work on that.thanks again.
Jill, you could also ask on a CFS group and you'll hear that a lot of docs have said in past years that it doesn't exist. That attitude has changed a lot, but not entirely. When the immune system is involved, diagnosis can be a complicated, frustrating process that sometimes takes years.

When you say 'blood disorder' with bone pain and high calcium, I'd assume you have been tested for Multiple Myeloma.

Btw, I believe you can discover that countering anemia by taking iron usually takes a very long time to have an effect.
Thank you. Will check into it. Not sure if I had been tested for myeloma. I think that may have been part of reason why they wanted to do bone marrow. The only thing that dropped back down on my test was the WBC. Consistantly high for over 6 mos then all of a sudden normal. So I think doctor wants to wait another 3 mos before anything further for a retest of blood and then see from there. I am sorry about the loss you went through. It must have been difficult. Both my parents had varying types of cancer but survived. My cousin just passed this week of cancer. Its tough but we have to strive on,. I appreciate the time you take here to help me more than you could know.
Hi:  I do have Leukemia.  Mine is CML, and it does not go away and come back.  With my type of Leukemia the white count would continue to rise at each blood test without any type of treatment.
Just keep getting your blood tested to see how your blood counts are.
There are other things that can cause some of your problems.
You mentioned a High Calcium, and that could be a indication of a Parathyroid Problem.  Ask your doctor to run a PTH test to check those numbers.  An enlarged Spleen could be a indication of Leukemia also.
Just the anemia alone will make you very weak and tired.  A recheck in 3 months should be good.  I wish you well on your findings.
Hi . thanks for all the help. Back in hospital , had severe head pains and elevation in BP to hypertension 2, with this CT found a mass in Parotid Gland. Seeing Oncologist, who say my blood work readings are worse than they were a year ago. Drastic severe anemia, having Iron drips this week and next week and of course now I have this mass to look into. Will see what happens.
Sorry to hear that, Jill.

Did you happen to mean Parathyroid Gland? If so, did you have the PTH test that suzzie61 had mentioned? Hyperparathyroidism can cause a lot of your symptoms, like hypertension and headaches. But as far as I know, it doesn't cause anemia.

Or something else might be causing hyperparathyroidism and the anemia, like kidney disease.

But... I'm thinking that you really did mean the Parotid Gland, and that wasn't a typo. So, although it seems prudent to see an oncologist, what you have going for you is that Multiple Myeloma likely wouldn't have just sat around idle for a year - so you probably don't have a blood cancer.

Id you do happen to get a bone marrow biopsy this time, I'll mention that my father had that done twice, and he thought it was no big deal at all.

I also just looked at your past posts, an you mention being investigated for MS, so since that's autoimmunity, we get back to the possibility of some unusual immune system condition.

Was there some unusual event like a super bad cold or rashes or fainting or anything else that seemed to kick off all of your problems?
Hi:  I am going through some tough stuff myself right now.  Anemia, and elevated blood counts in some other areas.  I am going through a lot of testing too.
     If you have a Parathyroid Tumor, look in to seeing a doctor that does minimally invasive surgery.  There is a procedure they do now where it only takes a little slit for them to get in and remove the tumor.  I believe its a same day surgery or one overnight.  I have had a elevated PTH for years, but they did not find anything on my scan.  They feel its coming from my kidney disease.  So many things can effect the Parathryoid.
   I wish you the best, and just keep in mind that surgery now can be done so much easier than years before.
Thanks for response , had first Iron Infusion ( Injectafer ) got some of the side effects. Will have MRI on Saturday and it is the Parotid gland in jaw near ear. No unusual events just severe anemia coming back and my migraines. No colds, infections and so on. Thanks for your support.
Hi Suzzie , sorry you have to go through so much. Its definitely Parotid Gland in jaw area. Thank you for your advice and wishes.