Leukemia & Lymphoma Community
leukemia

This patient support community is for discussions relating to all leukemia and lymphoma issues, Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia (CML), ALL, AML, CLL, SLL, anemia, biopsy, bone pain, chemotherapy, Hodgkins Lymphoma, monoclonal antibody therapy, Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma, stem cell transplant , swelling, vaccine therapy, weakness, and weight loss.

leukemia

Dr. Paul,
I would like to know if there is any connection between the low iron and b-12 to leukemia?  I have woken up twice this week with night sweats in the neck area. I have a swollen area on my neck and my temp is usually 97.6 but it has been fluctuating around 99.2 to 100. is it unusal for the fever and swelling to come and go??    I also noticed a rash on my torso and back. I am having a pet scan and sono this week will the pet scan be able to tell if it's leukemia or lymphoma.  thanks again for your valued opinion.
Dr. DENNIS,
Hi.

Low vitamin B12 and low Iron levels does not lead to leukemia.  They can lead to specific types of anemia but not leukemia.  If a patient already has leukemia, then red blood cell production and utilization of these elements becomes impaired, and can lead to anemia.

Your symptoms may be indicative of both conditions (lymphoma or leukemia).  Other possibilities would include chronic infections such as tuberculosis.  I hope that the PET scan can be done soon and tell us useful information.  Further tests would include possible biopsy of the swollen nodes, or a bone marrow examination to rule out leukemia.

Regards.