Leukemia & Lymphoma Community
low lymphocytes

This patient support community is for discussions relating to all leukemia and lymphoma issues, Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia (CML), ALL, AML, CLL, SLL, anemia, biopsy, bone pain, chemotherapy, Hodgkins Lymphoma, monoclonal antibody therapy, Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma, stem cell transplant , swelling, vaccine therapy, weakness, and weight loss.

low lymphocytes

I am 42 yo female
Had blood work last week for rt lower pain ( it was a corpus lueteal cyst-no problem)
Results of the bood test were normal except :
lymph 5 was 12.2 ( 15-39)
absolute lymph was normal at 915 ( 850-3900)

sed rate was 1...everything else was normal and actually in the  middle range...

I also had a yeast infection at the time of the blood test.

I feel great, have no fevers, no night sweats, not tired, I actually run or spin 4-5 times a week, no lumps, nothing...had a physical a month ago, everythng was fine ( lymph at that time were 18 % and absolutes were 1100).

I'm scared to death...any information???

Hi.
Do not be scared.  
Your lymphocyte count can still be considered acceptable as your absolute lymphocyte count is still within the normal range.
You may have a repeat complete blood count with differential count done in another laboratory facility and compare the result.
You may seek consult with your doctor for proper evaluation.
Good luck.
Thank you...I am sick to my stomach that I have lymphoma or leuklemia...I keep checking to see if I have a lump etc...

I'm calling my MD this am...

Thanks again.
Hi.
Please do give updates on your condition.
Stay positive.
Good luck.
Update:
Had repeat bloodwork today, as oer my request.
Saw the MD becasue I had ear pain and beginning of a cold/sinus pressure.
He said he was NOT going to have me repeat, but since I was there...he would.

He did not feel any enlarged lymph nodes etc...

I'll get the results on Friday.

I hate waiting...I just wish I could be as certain as the MD that this isn't anything to worry about.
Hi.
Do not worry too much.
It is best to wait for the result of your blood exam.
Hope for the best.
well, I got my results...

lymphocyte % was 14.5 which is up from the 12.2 %, but the absolute lymphocyte number went from 915 to 779 ( normal is 850-3900)

My doctor still isn't concerned...he says that he has many patients with low lymphocytes, and are fine.

He said that all my other numbers, WBC, RBC, HCT, etc...are all normal, and that''s what he looks at...the whole picture...

I'm of course, freaking out...feeling for lumps searching for diagnoses...

Can anyone help me out with this>??

Other than the low lymphocytes, everything else is fine...I have no symptonms, no fever, no night sweats, no chills, no fatigue...if I didn't have this blood test done, I wouldn't be concerend about anything.

Please give me your thoughts on this...

thanks
Hi.
Laboratory results should always be correlated with the clinical picture.  You mentioned that aside from the finding of low lymphocyte count, you are do feel fine.
Perhaps you should consult a hematologist to have a peace of mind.
Good luck.
thanks for your thoughts on this...

I'm repeating the blood work in a week...so 2 weeks from the last one...
I have truly gotten myslef in a mess over this...
Having difficulty eating and sleeping now over worry...
Hi.
Do not worry too much.
Worrying will not do you any good.
Try to relax.
Let's see the result of your next blood exam.
Thanks...

I'm actually a medical professional, so I know better, but sometimes, too much knowledge is a bad thing...

I had a colleague of mine look at it, and she sent it to a Hematologist that works in her office.. He said to repeat it in 3 months...buit knows me, so said to try to wait a month if I could...he was not concerned at all.
He did mention that the number that they look at is the absolute number, as well as the enitre blood test...however, in spite of symptoms, if the blood level does not go up, I will need to be evaluated...

Thanks so much for repsonding...It's so reassuring to run things by other people...

thanks again!!
Hi.
I agree with you that too much knowledge with regards to the medical field can be a bad thing.
I also ask my colleagues for a second opinion whenever I feel something different or something wrong with my body, just to reassure me that there is nothing wrong or it is nothing major.