Leukemia & Lymphoma Community
lymph node on left lower forearm

This patient support community is for discussions relating to all leukemia and lymphoma issues, Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia (CML), ALL, AML, CLL, SLL, anemia, biopsy, bone pain, chemotherapy, Hodgkins Lymphoma, monoclonal antibody therapy, Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma, stem cell transplant , swelling, vaccine therapy, weakness, and weight loss.

lymph node on left lower forearm

I have one bean size lymph node on my left lower forearm, about 3 in below the elbow joint to the right of the arm.  There is no pain, but just feel uncomfortable having something and worry that there might have future problem(s). A long time ago, a vascular surgeon said that leave it for several more months(at that time I already have it for several months and I did told him) to see if it goes away, if it's not, and I feel it bothering me.  If I want, he can take it out for me within 2-3 minutes in the clinic.  My question is: Is there any side effects, risk, or any problem(s) that may exist in the future after I have that lymph node removed?
Hi, are you sure it's a lymph node and not a lipoma or cyst or something else?

Aside from the risks that go along with any surgery (which would seem very minimal in this case, such as infection), the only thing that comes to mind is that a lymph node is an organ which has a job to do - and it won't be there to be doing its job after removal. However, in that location it would be only a minor node and so shouldn't be missed very much. A complication after removal might be a resulting lymphocoele, where the lymphatic fluid leaks and pools under the skin if the lymphatic vessel doesn't get completely sealed off after surgery.But that's probably rare.