son has swollen gland
hiya my 6yr old has had a swollen gland in his neck for 3 years it goes up and down with infections but never gets smaller than say a grape but can get 2-3 times as large - have seen many docs over the years and after worrying for months finally forgot about it _ until last week when ive started obsessing about it again - took him to the doc yesterday who referred him to hospital to have it evaluated - he stressed that he didnt think it would be biopsied- as i am uk this will take about 6 weeks - and i think i ll struggle with my own anxieties- so my question is if my boy had anything nasty would it have developed in 3 years - am i worrying too much? your thoughts warmly appreciated
Hi.
Cervical lymph nodes could be due to infection.  Most of the time, even with resolution of infection, the lymph nodes do not return to its original size.  When there is a recurrent infection, the lymph nodes may continue to increase in size.
Aside from the presence of enlarged lymph nodes, is your son experiencing any symptoms?
Do consult your son's doctor regularly.
Do not worry too much.
Stay positive.
Good luck.
thanks im trying not to worry and his gland has halved in size since yesterday, my son has no other symtoms and 3 years is a long time!
perhaps its me who needs to see a doctor! i think this gland may do this up and down stuff for some time yet - just looking for reassurance really
thanx
Hi.
Please do regularly check on your son's lymph nodes.  If there is progressive enlargement in the absence of infection, you should bring him to his doctor immediately for proper evaluation.
Do keep us posted.