Leukemia & Lymphoma Community
sore/not swollen lymph node. whats the cause?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to all leukemia and lymphoma issues, Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia (CML), ALL, AML, CLL, SLL, anemia, biopsy, bone pain, chemotherapy, Hodgkins Lymphoma, monoclonal antibody therapy, Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma, stem cell transplant , swelling, vaccine therapy, weakness, and weight loss.

I do have a little anxiety going on.

I have had a sore lymph node, im assuming for amost a week, its one thats never really gotten sore in the past.
its right under the jaw corner, straight below the ear.

I cant really touch it, b/c its in a spot i really have to work, bend the chin down to really get to/feel.

It only hurts really, when i suck through a straw, or suck in my lips. and sometimes when chewing.

Last Wednesday, I remember crying really hard, and then Thursday, I woke up and it was sore. Then Friday, I noticed a small canker sore developing in my mouth.

Then yesterday, I thought I felt a discomfort in my left armpit... so i started messing with it, wiggling fingers around etc, and I think I am just thinking WAY too much about it, and am WAY too in-tune with my body right now as an anxiety sufferer.

My lymph nodes are probably pea size or lyma bean size, all normal... no noticeable swelling, just sore in that one in the neck.

Do you think it's just from the canker sore? Do you think my armpit feels a bit uncomfy today b/c i kept playing with it sort of yesterday?

Ive got a Dr's appt. today to give me a bit of peace of mind. I'm sure it's nothing, everyone tells me its nothing and to quit worrying.

I have NO symptoms of Lymphoma, yet I still have a cancer scare, since I suffer from anxiety.

I have NO night sweats, I have no sudden weight loss, I do a little bit of appetite loss but thats probably only b/c that started when i started worrying about it, I've had NO fevers or anything...

My back has been a tad achy, and tense, so has the back of my neck, pretty tensed up. I have been under some stress. My throat is not sore, but it feels tense sometimes too.

So I'm sure I'm fine. I probably should have waited til my canker sore left in another week or so and waited to see if the lymph node pain went away afterwards. But, hey, if it gives me peace of mind, then cool.

Thanks for reading.
Hi, and yes you are almost certainly in no need to fear lymphoma. It's probably just some minor virus flair up. The following might make you feel better: one study showed that for every 100 people who have nodes that are enlarged big enough to cause concern AND have been enlarged for long periods of time (like months) and go to a doctor... only 4 percent warrant getting a biopsy. Then only half of those have some cancer. So your odds are tiny.

You are right that nodes which are enlarged because of some infection can be sore, while cancerous one are typically not. The reason is that when a node swells to fight infection (the number of immune cells inside it multiplies a lot), then that expands with pressure against the enclosing membrane (called the capsule) - which can cause soreness or pain. So soreness is a good sign. Cancer just goes right through the capsule instead.

Good luck and I hope that helps.
oh and I heard, SORE lymph nodes are BETTER than SWOLLEN/NOT SORE lymph nodes...

b/c 99% of the time sore lymph nodes mean, fighting an infection, NOT cancer.

Is that true?

Good luck and I hope that helps.
Thank you!!! You've calmed me down! I've been under an immense amount of stress lately too... but sooo busy, its overwhelming.

And I think it's not helping. Probably why I have a canker sore.

Thanks so much Ken_PA! I'm 100% positive when I go see the Dr. he'll say I'm fine and to stop worrying.

Thanks again!
Glad to have been of some help. It might even be a salivary gland.
HI Ken,
I hope you are still answering questions on here.  I have been diagnosed with Hashimotos.  My antibodies were pretty high about 4 weeks ago.  I started on Synthroid about 2.5 weeks ago.  I am symptomatic with the Hashis but now I have a new pain that I don't find much about.  On the left side of my body I have Lymphatic system pain, in my armpit, groin, inner thigh, etc.  Nothing is swollen from what I can tell but it is painful at times, not all the time.  Any ideas?  IS this part of the autoimmune vicious cycle?

Thanks in advance for your knowledge...

I have a similar issue going on. I have been experiencing digestive issues for a few years now, chronic pain all throughout my back and neck (spine aND muscle). But recently I have developed a slew of symptoms. I have reynauds syndrome in my feet, rls, bous of wooziness and nausea, itching all over, and painful lymph nodes with no noticeable swelling. my armpits hurt a lot, all over the jaw and neck, my right shoulder, collarbone, groin. It's actually on both sides but the tight side of my body is significantly worse.  Recently (3 days ago) my jaw pain led to me looking in my mouth. I only have my lingual tonsils left (regular tonsils adenoids (adenoids) were removed at 12), and they are like nickel sized balls on the side of my tongue. it appears they are causing redness on the sides of my mouth.  It doesn't hurt and I wouldn't of noticed it if it weren't for my jaw hurting and just curiously looking.

I have had a high white blood count and low lymphocytes for the better part of 3 years and no amount of antibiotics have helped that. but that's what keeps getting tossed at me by doctors.

I swear it feels like I have been poisoned or that I have a weird infection that I'm simply not able to fight off. My lymph nodes are hurting all the time now and I'm so dang weak and woozy.  I can't find anything on the Internet and years of seeing doctors has not helped.