Leukemia & Lymphoma Community
swollen and painful lymph nodes

This patient support community is for discussions relating to all leukemia and lymphoma issues, Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia (CML), ALL, AML, CLL, SLL, anemia, biopsy, bone pain, chemotherapy, Hodgkins Lymphoma, monoclonal antibody therapy, Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma, stem cell transplant , swelling, vaccine therapy, weakness, and weight loss.

swollen and painful lymph nodes

For over three months now I've had swollen neck nodes.  Recently they have become painful and hard.  Im also experiencing daily headaches.  Im fatigued every day and have alot of muscle  and joint pain.  My last CBC was 3months ago and it was normal.  I've also had 3 HIV- tests.  What can my doctor do to completely rule out lymphoma or any other form of cancer causing these symptoms?
thnx much
Hi.
Enlargement of lymph nodes can be a presenting sign of many diseases.  An infection may present with an enlarged, tender lymph nodes near the area of infection.  There are times when even with treatment of the infection, the involved lymph nodes do not resolve.  However, other disease entities (lymphoma, metastasis from a primary carcinoma) that also present with chronic enlarged lymph nodes should be ruled out.  
A biopsy of the involved node can be done in order to have a definitive diagnosis.
Good luck.
I have had Very painful swollen lymph nodes in my arm, ust by my elbow, and also under my armpit. I am worried that I may have some sort of cancer , even though doctors said it is only an infection. The skin has become very intchy, and the lymph node is extremely hard.
I am only 21, and am very worried.
Any suggestions or thoughts???
Thank you ahead of time
Hi.
Aside from pain and swelling of the lymph nodes, and itchiness of the skin, do you have other symptoms?
Painful and swollen lymph nodes could be the result of infection.  A trial of antibiotic can be given to see whether the swelling and pain will subside.
A diagnosis of cancer is based on the typical signs and symptoms, confirmed by biopsy.
A persistent and progressively enlarging lymph nodes warrant further evaluation.  It would be best to consult your doctor for proper management.
Good luck.
continued "visible" enlargement of lymph nodes is troublesome. if you are having night sweats regularly and severely, i would definitely see a dr. in regard to lymphoma. actually, see a dr. about it regardless
I'm 36 years old female, and i had a german measles last march 2008,and during that time ive notice lymph nodes at the right side of my neck and two lymph nodes below my neck also, but the large lymph nodes was located below my chin,3 months after i consulted the EENT doctor regarding this problem,but the doctor said its ok and give me some pain reliever to relieve the pain, after one week of taking the medicine the lymph nodes are still there. But im also bothered that up to this time the lymph is still there same size. Do i need to consult the doctor again? How long that the lymph nodes will stay after the infection?.
Lymph nodes can take a long time to shrink, sometimes never going back to their old size. If it continued to enlarge, then I would suggest going back to the doctor, but if it isn't changing, I wouldn't be too concerned.

Also keep in mind, the more you feel it and move it around, the longer it will take for the enlargement to go down.
Herbal tea such as red clover is a blood cleaner as well as dandelion root.  The red clover tea immediately reduced my lymph swelling.  Hope this helps.  Always seek proper medical care.
i was wondering how you got on in the end? I have a lymph node under my left jaw which possibly has been there for 4 years or more. It started hurting a lot, on and off 3 years ago and i repeatedly went back to the drs. I eventually had a scan 18 months ago on it and was told it looked like it was reacting to something...i wasnt unwell, had no infections or dental problems, i have good teeth.
In November, as the gland had grown and they had all started growing under my jaw, i had another scan which confirmed they were enlarged. The sonographer said at the time the pathology looked ok. Within about a week of the scan, they all got incredibly painful causing an ache in the entire upper body. In feb now and i still have the painful glands and ache! Dr said she wonders if im repeatedly picking bugs but i dont feel unwell other than how the glands are making me feel.
I saw an ent dr and tested pos for epstein barr with an igg level so he suggested i may have had eb not in the recent past but this may have started my nodes swelling.  Thats fine, but i feel terrible at least half the time, and am on my own with 2 little ones since my ex husband left so it can be a struggle on bad days. I just want to be fit and healthy again x