Leukemia & Lymphoma Community
swollen lymp node in neck

This patient support community is for discussions relating to all leukemia and lymphoma issues, Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia (CML), ALL, AML, CLL, SLL, anemia, biopsy, bone pain, chemotherapy, Hodgkins Lymphoma, monoclonal antibody therapy, Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma, stem cell transplant , swelling, vaccine therapy, weakness, and weight loss.

swollen lymp node in neck

For 2 years ive had a swollen lymph node on the right side of my neck, about 1cm. im 18 years old. Doctors keep telling me oh its nothing, but i cant live with this worry, ive had an HIV test it was negative for 3 months ago, i had the swollen node 3 months ago so im hoping its not that, ive had the blood work done, my white blood cell count is fine. im going in to a CT scan next week, but that only tells if its cancerous..it hasdnt grown, i have no symptoms of anything except i get floaters in my eyes alot....im scared. anyone have these symptoms? should i get the biopsy done? i think im going to...i spend my whole day and night worrying about this....
If you have had this 2 years, no changes in size, no other symptoms you should have nothing to worry about. A cancerous lymph node will grow. Even if it was a slow growing lymphoma, the node would be bigger than it was 2 years ago. The fact that you have no other symptoms shows that it is not cancer. Lymphoma would have progressed some by now.
Lymph nodes will swell to collect all of the bad stuff in our systems. If you were sick 2 years ago this node could have gotten bigger. Nodes do not always go back to their undetectable size after enlarging. If it is soft & mobile, not fixed and hard, it is okay.
Stop touching it and playing with it. Lymph nodes are VERY sensitive. You will keep the node enlarged by doing this. I know because I have the EXACT SAME issue and concern as you do.
Relax and enjoy being 18. Don't touch it for a month and then ever so gently touch it to see how it is doing and I bet it will be smaller. It probably will never go all the way away especially with you touching it for 2 years.

Take care,

Debbie
thanks debbie that really helped, im such a worrie rat, especially with health, this is seriously driving me isane...do you by any chance know what a cat scan shows???
A CAT scan would show the node and it would give the doctor a decent look at it. It is worth doing to reassure yourself. If you do get one please post and let me know how it went.

Thx,

Debbie
I have an appointment for October 15th, il let yah know how it goes!
Take care and try not to worry (easier said than done, I KNOW!)

Please post results.

Debbie
Hey watermelon2, hope everything worked out okay on the 15th and you're test comes back fine!
Hey, Debbie, what if a lymph node was fixed and hard as opposed to soft and moveable?  Would that necessarily indicate an abnormality?
Well, a fixed hard node is more inductive of cancer than a soft movebale one. Where is the node located, what is the size, and do you have any other symptoms; fatigue, night sweats, fever, itching?

Debbie
hey debbie, i went in for my cat scan on the 15th,,it went ok, scary though hahah i dont really like iv's, i wonder how long it will take for the results...im going to go have some blood work done soon to just to double check..even though ive already had a CBC done that came back fine! il keep you posted
There's one hard big one under my right ear.  It's been there for years, but I noticed a month or so it's poking out a bit more like it's grown outward.  It's pretty solid.  There's another one a little further down - same side - on my neck towards the front about the size of a pecan.  It's hard, but moveable.  And the right side of my neck about halfway down pokes out funny, not like the left side.  I've been pretty tired headachy and nauseated for about a month, and my neck's always achy.  I'm getting an MRI of the neck today - chiropractor's sending me because his adjustments just irritate it more than help it.  So, hopefully if anything's wrong it'll just show up.  I'm shooting for one big A-OK, though.  (:  
Results can take awhile. Don't worry! Let me know how it all goes.

Take care,

Debbie
Good luck with MRI and let me know how it all goes. At least you will have peace of mind. Nothing is better than that!!!!! :)

Take care,

Debbie
i am 17 year female ihad my lymp node no.5-6 in small size on my left side of neck i was tested for tubero closis and FNAC for cancer all results are negative now i fell 2 lymp nodes on right side of my neck what should i do pls help.