Leukemia & Lymphoma Community
trying to understand cbc for son Part 2

This patient support community is for discussions relating to all leukemia and lymphoma issues, Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia (CML), ALL, AML, CLL, SLL, anemia, biopsy, bone pain, chemotherapy, Hodgkins Lymphoma, monoclonal antibody therapy, Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma, stem cell transplant , swelling, vaccine therapy, weakness, and weight loss.

trying to understand cbc for son Part 2

This is 2nd part of my first post.  We went to doc today.  She is very concerned with my sons bloodwork.  She is trying to get him into a hemotologist as soon as she can.  She said he may need a bone marrow biopsy.  I am trying not to panic...does anyone have any ideas what it might be.?
Well, I just recently went thru an acute Myeloidal Leukemia bout with my girlfriend at UAB hospital in Alabama.  Basically the first signs to be worried about are a high white blood cell count.  Leukemia cells are called blasts and the get out of control as your body tries to compensate.  The signs are very high WBC, low RBC and pretty much low everything else.  Eos present in the lab is actually a mitigating factor and favorable.  Any white counts above 15K or so and you are too high.  My girl came in at stage 5 and had 97,000 WBC! Her RBC and Hemoglobin were about 1/3 of what they should be.  So basically for Leukemia you have a ton of WBC and you are low on everything else.  They do a marrow test to get absolute confirmation on the disease and whether is is ALL, CLL, CML or AML.  There are a few other ones but like I said earlier...subtypes make a world of difference in prognosis.  I know its scary but by 29 year old girl came in with AML in advanced stages and achieved remission during first round of induction chemo in less than a month.  Now it will come back within 8 months or so and that is why consolidation rounds are needed each month to keep hitting the body to try to kill every last cancer cell they can.  Two words of advice- GET TO A GOOD CANCER CENTER AND MAKE SURE YOU HAVE GOOD INSURANCE.  Those two along with a positive attitude are crucial in success.