Leukemia Expert Forum
CNS Leukemia?

Questions in the Leukemia forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts. This forum is for questions and support regarding all Leukemia and Lymphoma issues such as ALL, AML, CLL, CML, SLL, anemia, biopsy, bone pain, chemotherapy, Hodgkins Lymphoma, monoclonal antibody therapy, Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma, stem cell transplant , swelling, vaccine therapy, weakness and weight loss.

CNS Leukemia?

Hello, and thank you in advance. 26 y/o male. I've had a headache and fatigue/cloudiness for around 2 weeks. It comes and goes, and occasionally feels as though it's on just the one side of my head, but also occasionally moves to other places.

Neurological exam was normal.
Head CT w/o contrast was normal.
CBC and other lab tests (CMP, LFT, UA) were completely normal.

I have read that CNS leukemia can present with this kind of headache. What are your thoughts?
Dear jterwin,

Thanks for writing in.

Leukaemia of the central nervous system is extremely rare (in patients who do not have leukemia and presenting with headache only). I won't consider it as a possibility in your case.

Since all your exams and test results are normal, it is very unlikely that you have a serious disorder.

Given your symptoms, it is more likely that you could be suffering from a simple tension headache or sinusitis. These can be easily differentiated on examination.

Tension headache is usually relieved by tablet aspirin 325 mg as and when required ( upto 4 tablets daily) with food. Additionally, distressing with deep breathing and yoga also helps.

Sinusitis would be relieved on steam inhalation and some anti-histaminics like cetrizine. Please see a physician to find out the reason for headache so that appropriate therapy can be started.

Hope that this information helps and hope that you will get better soon.

Thank you for using MedHelp's "Ask an Expert" Service, where we feature some of world's renowned medical experts in their fields. Millions have benefitted from our service to get personalized advice for them and for their loved ones.

Best Regards,
Dr. Indranil Ghosh
I should also add that I have had a persistant sore throat for around one month. I have also read that this can be a symptom of a "frequent infection" associated with leukemia.