Leukemia Expert Forum
Prognosis for AML

Questions in the Leukemia forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts. This forum is for questions and support regarding all Leukemia and Lymphoma issues such as ALL, AML, CLL, CML, SLL, anemia, biopsy, bone pain, chemotherapy, Hodgkins Lymphoma, monoclonal antibody therapy, Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma, stem cell transplant , swelling, vaccine therapy, weakness and weight loss.

Prognosis for AML

My nephew has been diagnosed with Acute Myelogenous Leukemia and from everything I have read the prognosis does not appear to be too good.  Is there anything that might be done to help him?  Are there any Clinical Trials in which he might participate?  How would we go about finding them?  

Thank you so much for your help - we are desperate!
Pam,

Within AML, there are several subtypes.  Specific features of each subtype can help to determine prognosis and treatment options.  Certainly, there are patients who have good prognosis and can have long-term remissions.  It is an area of active research and many clinical trials are available throughout the country.  I would encourage your nephew and family to discuss with his oncologist to find out what trials are offered in your area.  

Another valuable resource is clinicaltrials.gov, which is a registry of federally and privately supported clinical trials currently being conducted in the US and throughout the world. At this website, you can type in AML and your location - available clinical trials in your area will then be listed.

Thank you for your question - and best regards for your nephew and family.
Hi, do you think that in Kikuchi Fujimoto disease cleaning the lymphatic sistem could cure a person?
AndreiaS,

If your question was directed towards me - Kikuchi Fujimoto disease is a rare, benign condition which is generally self-limited - meaning that in the majority of patients, this disease will resolve without any therapy.  

Although steroids have occasionally been used for persistent symptoms, there is no effective treatment that has otherwise been established.  There is no evidence suggesting that lymphatic system "cleansing" is helpful.

Hello, my name is Trey. My mother was also diagnosed with AML when I was 17. Unfortually she died when she was 38 from the cancer. I didnt know what to do with myself and it was really hard to deal with untill I started to talk about it with other people who have experinced it also. I know alot about AML and if you need some advice or want to chat with someone I am willing to talk. I am only 21 and I'm a new user on this site but I think I might be able to help.
I also have AML.  I fortunatly am in remission, but usually chances are not good as to stay in remission as i have been told.  Usually, people relaps within two years of being diagnosed.  I am sorry for your loss, my age is against me too; i'm 51.  I don't think i will be able to stand anymore chemo if i do relaps.  How long did your mother have this before she passed? sorry i had to ask this.  i now have RA from the chemo, never ending!

ashley