Liver Disorders Community
20yo elevated Bilirubin (2.3) and elevated Alkaline Phosphatase (224) h...

This support community is for discussions and support relating to liver disorders.

20yo elevated Bilirubin (2.3) and elevated Alkaline Phosphatase (224) help?

8567508?1354239818
Hi I hope someone can help me understand the results I received from my blood work.

I recently got a blood test and they found that in the last two my Bilirubin and Alkaline Phosphatase levels were elevated. I also have one reactive band for Lyme disease. However my doctor has said this is nothing to be concerned about.

My Bilirubin is 2.3 when its supposed to be 1.2 or less and my Phosphatase is 224 when its supposed to be 115 or less. I'm just confused how my doctor came to the conclusion its benign and nothing to worry about. I didn't always have elevated liver enzymes. I also have other symptoms like extreme tiredness and random muscle twitching all over my body.

Everywhere I've read says nothing about these levels of liver enzymes in young adults being benign.

Could someone shed some light on my blood work and reassure me that my doctor is right to ignore these results? I've attached my blood work results below.
"Could someone shed some light on my blood work and reassure me that my doctor is right to ignore these results?"
I am afraid your doctor is in correct.

What type of doctor told you it is benign?
You should be seeing a specialist a gastroenterologist or even better a hepatologist at a teaching hospital or liver transplant center. NOT a family doctor, PCP, etc.

"My Bilirubin is 2.3 when its supposed to be 1.2 or less and my Phosphatase is 224 when its supposed to be 115 or less."

Elevation of alkaline phosphatase with near-normal AST, ALT levels indicates "Cholestatic liver disease" or "Infiltrative liver disease".

Cholestatic liver disease affects secretion of bile from the liver. Which can be why your bilirubin is higher than normal. Cholestatic liver disease" also know as "obstructive diseases" can have multiple causes.

Infiltrative liver diseases most often result similar to those of cholestatic liver disease. Differentiation often requires imaging studies of the liver. Liver imaging by ultrasound, CT, or MRI most often identifies infiltration of the liver. Sometimes a biopsy of the liver is needed.

If you need help finding a qualified doctor in your area let us know. We can point you in the right direction.

It is important that you get a evaluation at a Liver Clinic or Liver Transplant Center as they have the knowledgeable doctors and  the tools to diagnose what is happening with your liver.

I would take this seriously. You wouldn't want to delay treatment until things get worse.

Hector
Thank you for your reply :). Now I'm freaking out because it was back in August they first found some elevation and brushed it off now its still elevated and I feel fatigued and sickish. I also had a bout of brown urine but it resolved.

It was my family doctor that told me it was benign as well as an infectious disease specialist which I didn't have much faith in. I've had no other tests and its safe to say its been chronically elevated for months now.

I'm going to schedule an appointment with my family doc again and see if he can explain to me why he believes its benign. If they're all wrong I'm totally lost because I don't know who I would go to.

What you're saying agrees with my research I can't find anywhere that it says these results are benign. He said it was because I was growing :/?

Thanks all :)