Liver Disorders Community
AST and ALT Level 85 and 156

This support community is for discussions and support relating to liver disorders.

AST and ALT Level 85 and 156

On a scale of concern, what would low-moderate-high level be considered in relation to the norms of acceptable AST and ALT level of 0 - 40 and 0-45 ?
"What are normal levels of AST and ALT?

The normal range of values for AST (SGOT) is from 5 to 40 units per liter of serum (the liquid part of the blood).

The normal range of values for ALT (SGPT) is from 7 to 56 units per liter of serum.

What do elevated AST and ALT mean?

AST (SGOT) and ALT (SGPT) are sensitive indicators of liver damage or injury from different types of disease. But it must be emphasized that higher-than-normal levels of these liver enzymes should not be automatically equated with liver disease. They may mean liver problems or they may not. For example, elevations of these enzymes can occur with muscle damage. The interpretation of elevated AST and ALT levels depends upon the entire clinical evaluation of a patient, and so it is best done by doctors experienced in evaluating liver disease.

The precise levels of these enzymes do not correlate well with the extent of liver damage or the prognosis (outlook). Thus, the exact levels of AST (SGOT) and ALT (SGPT) cannot be used to determine the degree of liver disease or predict the future. For example, patients with acute viral hepatitis A may develop very high AST and ALT levels (sometimes in the thousands of units/liter range). But most patients with acute viral hepatitis A recover fully without residual liver disease. For a contrasting example, patients with chronic hepatitis C infection typically have only a little elevation in their AST and ALT levels. Some of these patients may have quietly developed chronic liver disease such as chronic hepatitis and cirrhosis (advanced scarring of the liver).

It is, therefore, worth mentioning that these liver enzymes do not give an indication of the function of the liver. Sometimes they are mistakenly referred to as liver function tests or LFTs, but it is a misnomer commonly used."

See: http://www.medicinenet.com/liver_blood_tests/page2.htm#4whatdo

If I were you I would follow up with a hepatologist or a gastroenterologist. I would want a hepatitis panel to check for hep A, B, and C. There si something going on and the sooner you are diagnosed the better. I would not panic but I would make an appointment.

Good luck,
Mike