Liver Disorders Community
Adverse Effects of Using Glutathione Precursors

This support community is for discussions and support relating to liver disorders.

In an effort to aid both heavy metal detoxification and symptoms of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, I had taken Glutathione Precursors (NAC, Glutamate, and Glycine) in a self guided medication venture and felt markedly improved.  Unfortunately, after a month of taking the precursors, high liver enzyme counts were detected in a routine blood scan.  Upon receiving the results, I stopped the Glutathione Precursor program, and two weeks later, a subsequent blood scan showed normal liver counts, which leads me to believe that the glutathione repletion was directly involved with the elevated reading.  Because I was feeling better while taking it, I find myself disheartened by the fact that I had to stop the supplementation, and would like to hear from someone who is familiar with this type of detoxification program, as no doctor I have found has any familiarity with such a regimen and its expected results or effects.  

Is it normal for a blood scan to come back with high liver counts when taking the glutathione precursors?  If so, for how long does one usually engage in supplementation before taking a break?  If not, could I lower the dose and maintain healthier counts that way while on the program?  I have literally tried most everything available for my symptoms with little to no success over the years, and I feel very strongly about continuing down this path, given the positive results I had experienced in a short amount of time.  Just for added clarification, the exact dosage that I was taking was 1 capsule three times a day of the following potency:

257mg N-acetyl L-cysteine (NAC), 128mg L-glutamic acid, 64mg L-glycine

Any guidance or knowledge you can pass on would be greatly appreciated and thank you for your anticipated response

Sincerely,

Michael
I cured myself of chronic fatigue syndrome by doing heavy research and figuring out what was causing it in my own body.  Long story short, I had gut dysbiosis, intestinal hyperpermeability and a methylation block in my liver.  See beatcfsandfms.org for ways to deal with it.  The doctor I used to do the right tests and recommend the right supps and diet that cured me was Dr. Farr at becomehealthynow.com.  He wasn't listed at beatcfsandfms.org, I found him myself online.  I live out of the US now and had to find a doctor I could use without traveling to the US.  He sent me the tests, I fed ex'd them to the labs in the US, he got the results and then he recommended diet and supps to take care of the problem.  It took a long time and was pretty expensive, but I'm over it now and my worst problem is that I have a deconditioned body from 6 years of inactivity.  I'm taking yoga and joining a couple of gyms to get my poor body back in shape.  It was quite a ride, at least I'm enjoying it now.  I will continue to take the glutathione precursors probably indefinitely.  If they are causing high liver enzymes, it just means you have more issues.  Glutathione is vital for the body.  Try to find a doctor (NOT a medical doctor) that can make recommendations based on tests.  General recommendations do not work for us, you have to know what is going on in your body and deal with it.  We need individually tailored treatment plans.  Farr is really good, you can go to his site, fill out a questionnaire, and then get a free phone consultation to talk with him and ask questions.  He is in Florida.  good luck
In the post above referring to Glutathione.......The Mother of All Antioxidants........take note of the comment about undenatured whey protein....Immunocal has method of use patents and many fully completed clinical studies, including some done on CFIDS.  Great results for CFIDS suffers.  It would definitely worth your while to investigate it.
Perhaps you should look into I.V. Glutathione (or maybe start with ALA as described above).  You have to be careful with oral supplementation b/c...

"Supplemental glutamine should be kept absolutely dry or the powder will degrade into ammonia and pyroglutamic acid.

Precautions: Glutamine should not be taken by persons with cirrhosis of the liver, kidney problems, Reye's syndrome, or any type of disorder that can result in an accumulation of ammonia in the blood. For such individuals, taking supplemental glutamine may only cause further damage to the body. Be aware that although the names sound similar, glutamine, glutamic acid (also sometimes called glutamate) glutathione, gluten, and monosodium glutamate are all different substances."
Source: http://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/topic/185-what-is-glutamine-and-acidophilus/
I noticed this text on my bottle of n-acetyl-cysteine (glutathione precursor) this morning:

"Prolonged or elevated use may alter liver function tests without affecting actual liver function. Inform your physician that you are ingesting NAC if you undergo liver function tests."

Too late for your question, but maybe it could help someone else.

Laura
I HIGHLY suggest you do a genomics test.. johns Hopkins is doing them I believe insurance is also covering them now.  If you don't have insurance have your doctor order a detoxigenomics test ( liver genetics ). depending on how your liver pathways are set up one supplement can be deadly ( as well as medications ). I finally agreed upon my docs repetive requests and it explained everything..all the weird reactions to supplements near death experiences with low dose or within 3 normal doses of certain meds.. Johns Hopkins is using it as the new gold standard for liver diagnostics.Note this is NOT an epigenetics test..Its the real deal
believe insurance is also covering them now.  If you don't have insurance have your doctor order a detoxigenomics test ( liver genetics ). depending on how your liver pathways are set up one supplement can be deadly ( as well as medications ). I finally agreed upon my docs repetive requests and it explained everything..all the weird reactions to supplements near death experiences with low dose or within 3 normal doses of certain meds.. Johns Hopkins is using it as the new gold standard for liver diagnostics.Note this is NOT an epigenetics test..Its the real deal