Alpha 1
I have Alpha 1 Anti trypsin desease both liver and lungs are affected. My question is will imodium due more harm to my liver. I am having diarrha most every day after meals and if I leave the house it is difficult . Barb
I have alpha 1 and am liver and lung involved. I was on aralast for the past year but had difficulties with severe edema and temporary issues with symptoms resemblling congestive heart failure. I am currently off aralast for the past 3 weeks and will remain off the medicine for 8 weeks to see if this problem resolves.

My doctors have suggested that I try to minimize my use of medicines and OTC meds that metabolize through the liver. As you probaby know, many meds unfortunatly are. According to the websites about imodium; it is is absorbed from the gastrointestinal tract and metabolized by the liver. Side effects that have been reported with imodium can include abdominal pain, constipation, drowsiness, dizziness, dry mouth, fatigue, nausea, and vomiting.
Thank you for the information on imodium. I was hoping that wasn't the case, but suspected it was. I only use it if I'm traveling long distances or know there isn't a restroom near by.
Is the aralast for the lungs? So far my lungs are doing ok. I only use an inhaler. I've been an Alpha1 for 3/12 years. How long have you had it.
Good luck with your health and thanks again for the info. Barb
Yes there are several infusions like aralast and zemaira which replace the AAT enzymes that us alpha 1 people are deficient in....It is designed to protect the lungs....and doesn't have an effect on the liver....It basically is supposed to protect the lungs from further damage vs improving them. You mentioned in your message that you were lung and liver affected I thought.....

I was actually just diagnosed in January when a very unusual visit at my neurologist led to one of the physician assistants suggested that i fit the profile. I had always wondered how i had such bad asthma and chronic bronchitis ....and was already on oxygen at that point....and had never smoked...i was tested and found out than...After that 2 sisters were tested and 1 was MZ and the other was normal. my son is MZ; carrier.