Liver Disorders Community
Ammonia in blood due to lasix ?

This support community is for discussions and support relating to liver disorders.

Ammonia in blood due to lasix ?

Hi, I am new to this site. I am trying to find some help for my dad. It all started with too much water in his legs. His heart Dr. Saw him one day & put him in the hospital to get the water out of his legs. He put him on a high dose of lasix the two days he was in the hospital he lost two gallons of water came home. Then we noticed after I will say a dy & a half he started to get confused & very sleepy. We got very concerned & took him to the E-ward, he had some blood test's & we were told he has a amonia (ammonia) level of 81 It should be lower the 35 the hospitalist said. We have hospitalist instead of his Dr's coming in to tthe hospital, we are not happy with that. All kinds of test were done his liver test showed nothing is wrong with it. He never drank any beer or  liquor. After the first test were done hie heart Dr. took him off lasix & put him on Demedex & Potassium meds. Also he took him off his cholesterol med as well. Now the hospital can't seem to control the amonia (ammonia) level. At present it is up to 134. They have him on Lactoluse 6 times a day. What I would like to know, did the high dose of lasix mess up his liver or is something else going on. I just want to do anything to help my dad. I hope anyone can help me.  I thank you Mike.