Liver Disorders Community
Ast and alt levels high

This support community is for discussions and support relating to liver disorders.

Ast and alt levels high

I just received results of workplace blood test and my ast is 99 and alt is 94. Should I be concerned and contact my doctor with these results now? I am 48 years old and a non drinker.
Yes, you should follow up with a doctor and it would probably be wise to see either a gastroenterologist (digestive disease specialist) or a hepatologist (liver disease specialist).

ALT and AST are referred to as liver enzymes. An elevation in these enzymes usually suggests a problem with the liver. I don't believe that your numbers are so high that they suggest any immediate danger so I would not panic if I were you. But they are elevated and you should seek expert medical advice. Probably the most common cause of an elevation like yours is fatty liver disease. If that turns out to be the case you may be advised to modify your diet and institute an exercise plan. Weight loss and exercise is the most common approach to fatty liver disease. Are you over weight?

We also see elevation in liver enzymes with viral hepatitis such as hepatitis B and C. Frequently these viral infections are not symptomatic and are often discovered during routine blood work.

Drug toxicity and alcohol abuse can also cause liver enzymes to elevate but since you don't drink you can rule out alcohol.

There are other possibilities but I don't think it makes any sense to try and list them all. I think you should get to a specialist - gastroenterologist or hepatologist and find out what is causing your elevated liver enzymes. Unless you live near a large teaching hospital you may have trouble finding a hepatologist in your area but, if there is one available, I think that would be the best doctor to see. But, if there isn't a hepatologist available then a gastroenterologist familiar with liver disorders would be the next best choice.

I wish you good luck.

Mike
mine were higer than yours and there was  fat accumulation in my liver.
after diet and loosing 6 kgs in 3 monts, they became normal. you should do blood tests to monitor them every 3-6 months.
Thanks for the info. I do need to lose 16 pounds, so maybe it is fatty liver. I will see a doctor to have this checked out further though.
Thanks for your reply. This does make me feel better hearing this.