Belching and dizziness following EXTREME AST/ALT Levels
Hello:

About a year ago, I was diagnosed with autoimmune hepatitis.  Was never hungry, and had a severe case of jaundice (itching, unable to clot when bleeding, yellowish hue, etc.,).  Went in and my AST/ALT levels were at 2200 and 800 respectively.  Since then, I've been a heavy regimen of immunosuppressants (prednisone and imuran) and my levels are under control.  The liver biopsy they did showed stage 2 bridging fibrosis.  They also did a CT scan, and everything came back normal, excepting my liver and spleen which were slightly enlarged.  However, recently, I have started feeling pretty tired - even with 8-9 hours of sleep a night and have been belching like crazy.  Seems to happen whenever I get up and move around most, but can occur just sitting down as well.  My appetite seems to be pretty even and normal.  Occasionally, I get sharp pains in my back, arms, and legs, etc.,  None of what I say seems to concern the heptologist I see very much, as all my blood levels come back pretty normal.  I would appreciate anyone's insights.  Thanks very much.
Hey my mom has a similar condition. the same hepatitis, but now in the last stage of chroisis of the liver. She has been in this  fight this for about 3 years. Last stage since we know of this past week. The only advice I can give that the docotors wish she would had done to prolong her life span was to stay active and eat well. As bad as you feel you have got to try to keep your life style as much the same as always. Makes a big differnce in  the process of it handleing you and you handleing it. Research the diet foods you shouldnt eat and such. Stay strong there is a way to stay healthy I have been told and read, but once its gone too far theres no reversing. I will keep you in my prayers
Hi There,

I have had AIH for 17 years now and coping pretty well.
As long as your AIH is under control, to be honest, there is no need to panic.  My ALT/ALP etc are all acceptable, the only issues I have are that my platelets are so low - 42,000 (should be 150,000+!)  I also have cirohsis, and there is no going back from that.
You will find you may always feel more tired, probably sicky too, but you will learn to accept it over the years!  I find its a condition where you will learn to read signs that are wrong.... for example, when I feel so extra tired and sick, I know my white blood count has dropped.... I agree with Amy, your lifestyle is important, eat healthy and stay active.  Don't worry, relax, and keep healthy.  If you want any advice or support give me a shout. :)