Liver Disorders Community
CAT scan or MRI best?

This support community is for discussions and support relating to liver disorders.

CAT scan or MRI best?

Hi!  I have a dense nodule in my liver measuring 1.7x1.2 cm found on ultra-sound.  My liver enzymes are highly elevated.  What procedure would be best to asscertain what this is.  An MRI or CAT scan?  I only have catastrophic insurance and so far have not paid on my deductible.  I do not want to have to pay $500.00 for a CAT scan for them to now tell me to do an MRI, that's $1500.00.  Can a CAT scan tell if it is a tumour versus a fatty cyst? My cholesterol jumped from from 200 to 266 in one year with no change in diet either.    Would a fatty cyst raise enzymes way beyond normal range?  I hope you will respond to my questions.  Thank you for any assistance you can give me!

Sincerely,
Lori
Hi Missy,
I recently had a liver leison found incidentally on my ultrasound . My doctor has ordered MRI 's to follow possible progression . I was told MRI'S were the most informative when trying to dianose liver leisons . I do not know about cysts ? Are you on birth control or have you ever been on birth control ? Liver tumors are fed by estrogen. I do not know what your enzymes being raised could be ? It does not always mean a bad diagnosis!
Take care ,
Tracy

Hi Tracy,

Thank you for responding!  I am 53 and have not been on birth control for nearly 20 years.  I did my annual CBC and hormone check and that is when they found all my liver enzymes elevated.  GGT at 149, ALT at 126 and AST at 50.  My Alkaline Phosphatase is normal at 108 and Bilirubin is in normal range.  Cholesterol is high at 251 up from 200 the year before with no diet changes.  So...the liver enzymes were a total shocker!  So was the finding of a nodule.  My hormones are actually fine considering I am in menopause.  I really thought with the hot flashes they would be whacked!  I had a cancer scare 3 1/2 years ago with a Fibroadenoma in my right breast which was surgically removed.    Do you have anymore information or help you could give me?  Thanks again for your post, it is really appreciated!  You take care too.  I hope your outcome will be positive!  Blessings to you!
Missy
hello. a pet scan is much better than mri or a ct or ultrsound. thats how i found out that i had cirriosis of liver, mri or ct never showed anything, just a suggestion take care jr1963
Thank you for your post.  Have not heard about a PET scan, will google it.  Had CT scan yesterday with and without  contrast, waiting on the results.  I am sorry for your liver condition.  Hang in there and do the best you can!  Take care!

Lori