Liver Disorders Community
Can you have normal liver enzymes but have liver disease?

This support community is for discussions and support relating to liver disorders.

Is it possible to have a normal work up but still have SYMPTOMATIC liver disease? I had normal liver enzymes (ALT and AST) and normal bilirubin and alk phos.  I also had CT and Ultrasound evaluation which were both unremarkable.  Is it possible that despite these negative tests I still have liver disease that is causing my symptoms (Right Upper Quadrant Pain, Nausea, Right Shoulder Pain, Fatigue, Mild Itching)?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice!
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi, its unlikely. Normally any structural abnormalities are detected by ultrasonography and CT scans and the functional abnormalities are reflected in the liver function tests. In the absence of which it is unlikely that you have liver disease. But the symptoms described can occur with biliary tract disorders. Ultrasounds and CT scans will help detect any abnormalities in the structure of the gallbladder. To study the functioning tests like HIDA scan need to be done. Gall bladder dysfunction can cause the symptoms described by you. So, check with your doctor regarding this condition. Regards.