Liver Disorders Community
Difference between liver pain and muscular pain

This support community is for discussions and support relating to liver disorders.

For the past couple of weeks I've been experiencing a pain/stiffness around my lower rib(s), on the right hand side. The pain is intermittent related to movement/tension/stretching, but if anything seems to have become more distinct over the past fortnight.

I've noticed I can provoke the pain by twisting or stretching in certain ways (for example bending at the waist and twisting my torso clockwise). It's a 'bruised'-feeling pain, sited between the second and third ribs (counting upwards).

My question is this: is a pain which can be provoked in this way more likely to be a muscular issue, rather than a liver issue?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

If with movement you are getting pain it is likely to be an inflammation of the skin, subcutaneous tissue or the bone. This can happen with injury, repetitive activity or an infection of the skin. Sometimes it can be costochondritis, inflammation of the sterna rib junction. The pain could also be due liver or gall bladder disorders. But with this you should have other symptoms like jaundice, nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain and fever. So, if you develop any of these symptoms or if the pain is worsening, consult your doctor for an evaluation.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
The liver has no nerves, and is not capable of causing pain. The only pain from the liver is if its enlarged substantially and puts pressure on adjacent organs.

Upper right quadrant pain is a VERY COMMON complaint that most times has no known cause