Liver Disorders Community
Does liver disorders cause bad body odor

This support community is for discussions and support relating to liver disorders.

I was just wondering if a liver problem can cause  a bad body odor or if it is just a GI tract issue. If anyone out there has any knowledge in this area I would deeply appreciate it. Also if you have 2 different liver function tests at two different times and they both come back normal in the same year should you exclude live disease as a possible cause of your symptoms or should consider further testing such as an ultrasound. I really can't afford a ultrasound right now so hope I don't have to do that but if I should in the future I am willling to do that. The reason I'm  a little worried is becuase I heard cirrhotic patients can also have normal numbers on LFTs and if that is the case I want to make sure I'm taking the proper step to make sure my liver is healthy and I'm not abusing it in any way. I do drink like once a week and sometimes my diet is not the best but I'm working on it, I just don't want to cause more harm to my liver if it is possible I could have a issue in that area. The body odor is so bad that is intolerable to some people at times that they start holding thier stomachs as if it is nauseating to them and I have very good hygiene and it scares me a little that my body odor is that bad. This is kinda embarssing to talk about on here but I don't know where alse to go or what  else to do I constantly worry about this everyday and it is so frustating when you think you have done everything in your power to find answers and the doctors tell you your normal and I'm thinking it is normal to smell like fecal matter and garbage all day that is kinda hard to believe if you know what I mean especially when you take 3 showers a day also have constant edema but it has went down a little so I think that may be related to my weight gain. I could also post my lab numbers on here if that would help anyone figure out what my issue may be. Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me it is deeply appreciated. I am a 28 year old female. Take care and God bless.
Yes, liver and kidney disease can cause body odor.  Here is a link that I found interesting.  I hope this helps.
http://www.faqs.org/health/topics/69/Body-odor.html

Take care!
Thanks so much for your response. I will check out that website you suggested. I am just totally confused as to what my body odor could be due to. I am constantly looking for answers. The body odor is a constant issue. I want to live my life again like a normal person but it is so hard when you have an issue like this. Should I be satisfied with my 2 LFTs coming back normal and exclude possible liver disease as a culprit for my BO or should I consider another different test to really be able to exclude liver disease as a possiblity. I was also wondering if you knew what a cirrhosis person's labs would look like, because I heard that a cirrhosis person's labs can sometimes be normal even though their liver is cirrhotic. I mean won't you have more symptoms then BO if you were cirrhotic. I still have edema but it seems to be going down a little so I think it is just related to weight gain. Also if BO would be a cirrhotic symptom what would the odor smell like? LOl I apologize for the many questions I'm just at a lost as what to do next I'm basically desperate for anwers so I can make sure I'm not harming my own body if there might be a serious health issue to consider. My boyfriend's dad had cirrhosis and he did not have a BO issue so you can see why I'm confused, yet he did have the jaundice. Yet I've heard that some people do develop a bad BO when they have liver issues. Anyways thanks again for you response and God bless.
I am a 24 year old female and I have the same problem!Its the most frustrating,embarassing and depressing thing to deal with.I mean I don't have a social life because of this.I sweat easily between my legs(groin) and under my arms and those are the only places the odor affect.sigh...I have researched several possible causes online but can't seem to put a finger on any one in particular.I am 7 mths pregnant at the moment and so my doc says I basically have to wait until I deliver before I can do any tests to diagnose it as reults may be compromised with my pregnancy.I sweat in these places with odor whether its hot or not.I shower regularly and use antiperspirant deodorants which almost don't help.I did do an apple cider vinegar liver and kidneyn flush/kidney and for a few days or weeks I actually didn't have an odor,but gradually it came back.if u ever get an insight into ur condition please share as I am as frustrated as you are.
Ladies, check this condition Trimethylaminuria (TMAU). It is caused by a lack of enzyme. Which can be a geneti pronlem
Sorry, I meant genetic problem.