Liver Disorders Community
Elevated ALT

This support community is for discussions and support relating to liver disorders.

Elevated ALT

I went and had lab work done and my ALT was up around 60. They checked 2 weeks later and it went down to normal but when they checked it today it was u again at 64. My hep b surface antibody was active and the hep antigen was negative. My md seemed to think the reason the sufrace antibody was postive was because i work in a hospital and it was manditory to get the hep b shot. Im just concerned why my alt keeps going up and down.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Anti Hbs levels above 10 IU/L are considered to be protective against hepatitis B infection. If the ALT levels are persistently elevated, then it needs to be investigated. So, check them at intervals. In the meantime you could follow certain precautions. Avoid smoking and alcohol. Avoid drugs like paracetomol and sedatives. Get vaccinated for hepatitis A. Take a good protein diet.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.