Liver Disorders Community
Elevated AST / ALT Levels
About This Community:

This support community is for discussions and support relating to liver disorders.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Elevated AST / ALT Levels

Hello,
My lab work came back with elevated liver enzymes:
AST = 52
ALT= 145

I had been taking tylenol on a daily basis for back pain but never more than the recommended dosage. I also socially drink, 1-2x a week. Could this have any affect on the lab results? My Dr. has scheduled another test but wants to wait 4 weeks. I am so afraid I have something serious like liver cancer or something.
Related Discussions
3 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Your liver enzymes seem to be elevated. Normal values for SGOT is 0-35, SGPT is 4-36, ALP is 30-120, Bilirubin is 0.3-1.0, Gamma Glutamyl Ttansferase (GGT) is 8-38. They can be elevated due to alcohol consumption and due to Tylenol also.

If you do not have symptoms of liver disease like jaundice, nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain and fever, I would advise you to stop alcohol and tylenol and recheck the levels after four weeks.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Blank
Thank you for your response. My other enzymes were within their limits, just AST/ALT were elevated. My blood count, glucose and electrolytes were all normal too.

I have not taken any tylenol or have had any alcohol in almost a month, not until I have my re-test which will be on 28 Jan. I am hoping it was the daily usage of tylenol that has contributed to the elevated AST/ALT.
Blank
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Hepatotoxicity from paracetamol (tylenol) depends on the dosage. Acetaminophen when taken in therapeutic doses of up to 4000 mg/d demonstrated no adverse hepatic effects. In adults and adolescents, hepatotoxicity may occur following ingestion of greater than 7.5 to 10 g (ie, 24 regular-strength or 15 extra-strength caplets or tablets) over a period of 8 hours or less. However, chronic heavy alcohol abusers may be at increased risk of liver toxicity from excessive acetaminophen use.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Liver Disorders Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank