Liver Disorders Community
Elevated AST, Normal ALT
About This Community:

This support community is for discussions and support relating to liver disorders.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Elevated AST, Normal ALT

I'm a 31 year old female, 55 kilos.  I did my blood work about a month ago and my AST came back 41 (clinic cutoff was 35), and ALT was 29.  I stopped drinking a couple months before my test.  Would this slight elevation be a cause for concern?  I will be seeing my doctor in a couple of weeks on feedback.  All other blood work is normal, negative for Hep B and C.  Can anyone shed some light?  Is this a significant elevation that could indicate any underlying liver problems?  I used to drink above what I should about a year ago, I wonder if my liver was severely affected by this.

Thank you for your insight.
Hi,
I understand your concern regarding the elevated liver enzyme. This may indicate inflammation or damage to cells in the liver. However, in most  cases, liver enzyme levels are only mildly and temporarily elevated and  don't signal a chronic or  serious liver problem. Aside from alcohol and  hepatitis, there are many possible cause including certain prescription medications, nonalcoholic fatty liver disease, obesity, over-the-counter pain medications like acetaminophen, and underlying medical conditions. It is best that you discuss the results with your attending physician for proper evaluation. Repeat blood test may also be done.  Die modification and medication may be indicated. Take care and do keep us posted.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Liver Disorders Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank