Liver Disorders Community
Elevated AST and ALT in liver - hypothyroid 25 year old patient
About This Community:

This support community is for discussions and support relating to liver disorders.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Elevated AST and ALT in liver - hypothyroid 25 year old patient

Hello, I just received results from a blood test I had done yesterday.  I am hypothyroid and currently taking levothyroxine to maintain my thyroid hormones.  I was diagnosed hypothyroid 6 weeks ago when my TSH went up to 53.  I gave birth to my son 9 months ago and was told that my thyroid problems are common for postpartum women and hopefully they will go away with time.  My blood test results show I do need to increase my dosage as my TSH levels are still high, although they decreased dramatically from my first results 6 weeks ago.  
Onto the issue that I'm currently dealing with....6 weeks ago, my doctor told me she'd be monitoring my liver enzymes as my AST came in slightly out of range at 50.  My results from yesterday's work show that my AST went up to 53 and my ALT is up to 70 (my ALT was normal 6 weeks ago).  I do not drink alcohol at all, have never used drugs, and have been in a monogamous relationship with my husband for the past 5 years.  I am a 25 year old female with no history of liver disorders.  My doctor told me to come back in 2 weeks for Hepatitis B and C tests as well as more bloodwork.  How would one in my situation get Hepatitis considering my background of no needle sharing, drug use, or multiple sexual partners?  My husband had a physical a few months ago and his blood tests are normal.  The fact that I recently had a baby made me think that I would be in a completely healthy state and now I am freaking out over all these negative results.  What else could cause my liver enzymes to go up?  I am currently experiencing major discomfort in the right side of my back down to my abdomen and leg.  I also experience digestive issues, which I thought stemmed from the thyroid condition, but am worried now this may be caused by the liver??  I know that I should wait until my appointment in 2 weeks but I can't think of anything else.  Can someone help explain what's going on with me? Thanks so much!