Elevated liver enzymes & vitamins?
I had routine blood work done in June & results came back with very slight elevations in liver enzymes.  I am 40, healthy, NOT a drinker (I drink alcohol maybe 2 times a year), don't smoke, eat right most of the time, exercise frequently, and not overweight ( I am about 5'6" & weigh 117).  I was shocked.  The doc ran tests for hepatitis, all came back negative, including Hep. C -- which is odd because I had Hep. C at age 16 (not sure how I got it, not sexually active at that age, not an IV drug user -- no treatment, just bed rest & regular blood tests).  The doc said I had no signs of Hep. C past or present.  That in itself seems odd, but I heard in rare cases a person's body can rid itself of the virus.  I am not diabetic & no thyroid problems, either, for the record.  The doc ordered a  liver ultrasound -- results were normal.  Had blood re-checked 90 days later, & again, still elevated & slightly more so than before!  I have not taken Tylenol since May.  I don't take other meds, however, I did have a UTI in May & again in August -- both times, it was 4 weeks before the blood work I had done.  I was on Cipro each time.  I read in RARE cases, Cipro can elevate liver enzymes.  Could this be the cause?  Would it be with me 4 weeks after taking it?  The ONLY other thing I was doing that was "new" was I started taking prenatal vitamins just before I began all this lab-work, as my husband & I are trying to conceive.  I am now reading a lot about iron toxicity -- while I don't have symptoms, could the iron in the vitamins be affecting my liver enzymes?  I simply don't have any other problems that generally cause the elevated enzymes in typical cases.  I see my doc for a follow up in 2 weeks, but it's driving me crazy in the meantime!   I feel great, so this is all so puzzling!  ANY help is appreciated.  In the meantime, I stopped the prenatal vitamins a week ago when I got my last liver enzyme report & I plan to mention this to my doc.  THANK YOU!
Did they ever find out why your liver enzymes were elevated?  Mine were just reported as elevated and I am also taking prenatal vitamins.