Explanation of Ultrasound results
Hi Everyone,

I'm just kinda looking for a layman's explanation of the results of my Ultrasound. The only thing that came out of it that seemed unusual was "Mildly heterogeneous liver parenchyma". My gastro doctor and I were talking pretty intensely about what my options for further tests were just to make sure I was ok, endoscopy vs. barium swallow. So we kind of blew through the explanation of what this was and he didn't seem to concerned. I believe he said it was just a sign of slightly fatty liver. Is this all it is and am I ok to not worry? Thanks for any help.

Chaw
It's good your doctor wasn't too concerned but still wanted the extra tests. I would imagine they are trying to determine the extent of any damage that may have been done to your liver. A fatty liver causes it to become fibrous which in turn causes scar tissue. That may be a very poor interpretation, but it seems to be the progression. I had a biopsy done via endoscopy and it seems that's the ultimate test of your liver's health. Good luck!

Nicole
I was also diagnosed with hepatic echotexture is mildly heterogeneous possibly representing mild patchy fatty infiltration. Did you ever get to the bottom of yours?
" My gastro doctor and I were talking pretty intensely about what my options for further tests were just to make sure I was ok, endoscopy vs. barium swallow."
Its probably not serious is my guess. And the barium and endoscopy has nothing t do with your liver. He is looking at something else there. But please update us