Liver Disorders Community
Fatty Liver - Alchohol Induced!

This support community is for discussions and support relating to liver disorders.

Fatty Liver - Alchohol Induced!

I have recently been told I have fatty liver disease, I am just outside the normal range of the BMI index (26) but all my fat is on my abdomen.  I do not have any sypmtoms and it was only diagnosed incidenatly.  I drink maybe once per week and its more than what is recommended, probably 7-8 beers on a night out.

My liver enzymes 4 months ago were ALT 44 AST 22, 1 month ago 22 and 16 and 1 week ago 17 and 16.  An ultrasound showed fatty liver deposits on my liver. In the last 3-4 months I have lost weight, started exercising and eating well and my enzymes have droppped quite significantly over this period of time.  I have been drinking alchohol but not much apart from one blow out and all my tests seem to be ok.

My doctor said to tell me if I had NAFLD or AFLD he would need to a biopsy and I am not keen on this.

My question is, do you think I have reversed my fatty liver and is it safe for me to drink alchohol if I reduce amount, eat well, lose abdomen fat?

I go on holiday tommorow and I want to relax a bit, I am scared I will end up with cirrhosis of the liver.

Seems unfair to me, I am 32 and was a drinker when I was younger but never more than twice a week although sometimes excessivley.  I cant help but think I might be worried about nothing.

The doctor is very vague when I ask him about drinking, all he says is drinking harms your liver period.  The thing is everyone knows this, but is it going to kill me prematurely just because I have fatty liver ?

If its reveresed then I am susceptible to it being fatty again or have I got a fresh liver so to speak?

That is an interesting question, I would post it under the transplant forum to get a specialists opinion.  I think many on this board will benefit from the answer.  The doc on that forum is great.

I have posted it where you recommended but no replys yet.

He doesn't always answer on a daily basis but he almost always answers.  Lots of good info related to all sorts of liver disorders on the liver transplant forum also.

Take care.
FYI, I may have missed something but I didn't see a post on the Liver Transplant forum just wondering if maybe there was a glitch and it didn't get posted.